Darn HG failure... Maybe.

Hi all,

So after 20k of not-missing-a-beat daily motoring my VR has started to lose coolant. Not too fast, but I did half a litre in 500 miles on the weekend. Checked the thermo housing and crack pipe and both look fine and there are no obvious leaks or puddles etc under / in the car. No sign at all of any water leaks! Plus no mayo on the dipstick or filler cap, no oil in the coolant... grrr! I'm gonna replace the expansion tank cap (it's a OBDII with the blue cap) but apart from that, I'm out of ideas!

Next steps are get the coolant system pressure tested and check compression... I'm guessing if the HG is damaged then the compression will be low on some / all of the cylinders?

Possibly anecdotal evidence but I changed out the oil & filter after first noticing the coolant loss and found a bit of that clear gasket sealant stuff on the oil filter... but that's not from the HG right? More like the stuff I've seen on rocker cover / timing chain cover gaskets. Anyway..

Thoughts?? Anything I've missed? Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Just hit 92k btw.

Worth checking if the carpet is damp round the footwells. A leaky heater matrix would not be obvious at this time of the year as it's likely on cool all the time. Check for dampness in footwells and put heater on 1 and warm, directed to the windscreen to see if any condensation appears.

Thx Jamie, I have already checked the heater and it seems fine. Hopefully the pressure test will throw up something! was thinking of making up some sort of pressure testing myself, screw a tyre valve into a tank cap...