My Golf was originally a 2.8. It is OBD1 and has a coilpack ignition. Its a very late 93.

I bought a very early 93 Corrado 2.9 engine and box. The 2.9 came with a distributor, not coilpack.

To get around this, I simply

1) removed the 2.9 distributor

2) removed the 2.9 cam chain cover

3) removed the drive prongs from the end of the 2.9 camshaft

4) removed the 2.9 engine wiring loom

5) installed the 2.8 cam position magnet to the end of the 2.9 cam

6) installed the 2.8 cam chain cover and sensor to the 2.9

7) installed the 2.8 coilpack to the 2.9 engine

8) installed the 2.8 wiring loom to the 2.9 enigne - all the plugs are the same.

9) installed engine.

Easy!

Jules

so if you find a 2.9 with a coil pack it'll plug straight in?

what about the 'box?

yes - as long as you are OBD1. All Corrado 2.9's are OBD1 - whether coilpack or dizzy - OBD1. The sensors and their plugs are the same from 2.8 to 2.9.

The reason I swapped the loom was simply because of the slightly different wiring for the coilpack vs. dizzy area...

As for the box, yes - straight in - but you have to swap over your old selector lever mech from your 2.8 gearbox if you want to keep the L-shaped counter balance weight (which I did). The corrado counter balance weight is a different shape to the Golfs'. It would foul the chassis leg if you left it on - which I discovered just as I was swinging the whole lot in.... ;)

Hiten - hi mate - no - its still running like pap. Vince from Stealth reckoned it was running lean on the rollers the other week - so its either my MAF position trick that I've played on it (MAF is in front of charger), or a fuel system problem. I changed the fuel relay for a laugh and it seems OK- but not entirely sure - I've just installed water injection, and its pulling really well - but this could just be covering up the fact that its still not right?!?

Jules

oh - about the ECU - this is the interesting bit.

The Golf 2.8 Coilpack ECU is EXACTLY the same box of electronics as the Corrado 2.9 Coilpack ECU. The 2.8 ECU ends with ...258 AF and the matching Corrado ECU number ends with ...258 AG. They just have different chips installed.

So all you need to swap over is the actual chip.

Of course, you could just try and locate a whole ECU - but I was lucky enough to be practically given a Corrado 2.9 SC chip.

If you are stuck though, the 2.9 will still run on the 2.8 ECU.... I ran my SC 2.9 with the SC 2.8 chip for a while, and there was no pinking.

Interestingly, when I installed my 2.9 SC chip into my 2.8 ECU, VAG-COM now says its a 258 AG....! So this info is actually held on the chip, not as part of the ECU electronics... cool!

Jules

[ Edited Mon Mar 08 2004, 09:20PM ]