Convert to RWD ?

Can be done, Get hold of 4 motion or TT gearbox and propshaft and rear subframe, then bolt it all up. Okay bit more to it then that I admit. Have a read of paul parkys 4WD thread, lots of very useful info on there to get an idea. then just set the controller to all rear wheels, and then go crazy :)

Or just get a rear wheel drive car.

Don't do it lol just buy a rear wheel wheel drive car. 4wd yes but rwd in a short body car. Not going to be doing much drifting, more understeer and deadly oversteer on such a short wheel base, it has been done and proven to be shocking, buy an old BMW and have fun in that :)

I've been thinking about doing this for a long time now, the wheel bases aren't that short only 100mm less than an E30 or an ma70. I think most have gone mid-engined for ease, and thats where the problem lies.

My intention is to get an ma70, lop the body off, shorten the floor and prop by 100mm, stretch my Jetta over it and get a plate to mount my R lump onto the Supra Gearbox. Bish bash bosh, a few mounts here and there and off you go! lol

obviously it's a hell of alot of work, but I really can't see the down side, supra brakes/suspension/chassis my lump and body.

it's only in my head ATM but I've had a lot of time to come up with it,

yes I would go longitudinal, just as it is in the supra, also it could have a slightly better F/R weight distribution as my lump would sit further back being shorter than the toyota straight six.

The other idea I came up with was to use a 944 floor pan, as the rear mounted gearbox would spread the weight even better, I think this would be a better plan, but the gearboxes are so expensive to get up to a suitable strength that I could probably never afford it (I was quoted 5K for just the gearset and 2k to fit). The ma70 turbo gearbox will take up to about 700bhp as standard. So there is nothing really to sort, and they have lsd. The other benefits of going the supra route is that most of the parts will be standard, so easy to get, and if an upgrade is needed there are plenty of off the shelf options available.

I was thinking of doing something similar to my jetta, but with a big V8 or something similar, cutting a hole, putting the engine in, and mate up the suspensiony stuff upto the rear of the car. the biggest fear I had was as the car was designed to be front wheel drive, that when you turn a car the chassis will just flop abou all over the place because now all the weight and torque is coming from the back.

That's my two cents for what they are worth anyway :)

I've been thinking about doing this for a long time now' date=' the wheel bases aren't that short only 100mm less than an E30 or an ma70. I think most have gone mid-engined for ease, and thats where the problem lies.

My intention is to get an ma70, lop the body off, shorten the floor and prop by 100mm, stretch my Jetta over it and get a plate to mount my R lump onto the Supra Gearbox. Bish bash bosh, a few mounts here and there and off you go! lol

obviously it's a hell of alot of work, but I really can't see the down side, supra brakes/suspension/chassis my lump and body.

[/quote']

Sounds like you know what your doing, time to get that 9" grinder out and make it! Good luck :)