Folks, I had to change my vr engine due to previous frost damage. I sourced a AAA code engine, swapped over the ancillaries and put her back in. On turning the key the car is cranking over fine however she will not fire. I removed one plug and turned her over but there is definitely no spark.

Any ideas folks as I've literally unplugged one engine and plugged th new one in. The immobiliser works as before. The new engine came from a sharan. There are a couple of spare connectors on that loom but that should not affect car starting. My only thought is that the ecu is not seeing crank. Where is the crank case sensor located exactly???

have you got the engine crank sensor and other one the correct way round .. you can plug them in wrong

I checked the knock sensor and crank sensor plugs and they are both connected correctly :-(

I really cant see why she will not start

check all connectors if all ok get some 1 round with a decent scanner read live data whilst winding engine if no rpm readout then its crank sensor related poss all depending on if theres an immobolizer fault that can cut rpm readings/spark/injectors firing or all of them so get that checked to

Double check that engine earth fella.. Jim' date=' is it normal to earth by gear box??

[/quote']

It could be a simple earth, I'm assuming the only earth is the negative battery terminal??? Unless there is another I've missed :-/