My VR6 Classic..........

So here goes from the beginning starting on January the 2nd......

I recently gave into my Mrs and went sensible and bought a 2005 330d for daily duties. Therefore my toys needed to go, so my Mk3 VR6 has gone to my Mum and sold her Fiesta, my Audi Quattro Sport Turbo has gone to my Dad and we will sell his Merc, and ill have my Defender build to carry on with (see here: http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=77251) but as I well and truly have the dub bug I need something VW to play with as the caddy I also had has been sold to help fund a Transit and the 330d cant be tinkered with under order of the Mrs.

Now, before christmas I agreed to purchase another VR6 as a breaker, as I wanted to keep an engine in stock for a future project that hadnt been decided yet, and flog the rest to make the running gear as cheap as possible or even free! Then the next day a little Polo came up for sale on my road and then the plan hatched!

So firstly take this for breaking:

1291065828_3866_FT405642_eos_30d_002_1024x768_.jpg

Purchase this 100bhp 1.6 8v Saloon with 64k and pretty mint:

Photo0173.jpg

Convert to the mk3 Ibiza Cupra front end at some point in the future:

cupra.jpg

Install these:

coilovers.jpg

Fit some banded steels:

steels.jpg

Strip rear interior to fit one of these (look through the rear window)

1994_volvo_850_btcc.jpg

So it just needed to all come to life.

Ive done some research, and the whole subframe transfers over which means, VR everything including uprights, hubs, brakes wheels etc, and the rear hubs will bolt up to the Polo rear beam for the full 5 stud conversion. Also using the VR front ends means I can use VR6 coilies up front too.

Only issues with the VR frontage is its width. Apparantly the strut tops are about an inch in each side to where they should be on the VR which means premature inner CV wear, and also the VR track rod ends cant be adjusted too much once lined up on the Polo, so I think I can use Ibiza Cupra shafts, and the original Polo rack, but I'm still to clarify that. Ill also need to take the VR cable shift over to the polo, and get an Ibiza diesel pedal box as the the VR is Hydraulic and the Polo cable, but being the same platform, hopefully the Derv Ibiza hydralic pedal box will make it all do'able.

Using a friends setup:

IMG_1321.jpg

they're both back in my workshop........ :)

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

Started stripping the Golf with the couple of hours I had spare.....

IMG_1372.jpg

And it came with a boot load of spares to sell on to make it even more free lol:

IMG_1322.jpg

So once the golfs stripped, I can cut it up and weigh it in then begin on the Polo. If there is any interest ill carry on updating this too

This was said over on another forum:

also sit the vr6 in a mk2 cupra front assembly ive just sold one but I think ive another coming in soon, mk2 cupra runs same box as vr, you can put mk2 golf wishbones on mk3 golf subframe to sort out your widetrack issues this is what the mk2 cupra uses, so VR subframe, Mk2 Golf wishbones, and Mk2 Ibiza cupra shafts

Any of that right??

Right so today in a bid to make life easier in stripping the golf I got creative. Upon Si's recommendation we are going to get the VR running in the Golf first to be 100% sure its a goodun before transferring it over. So back to today. A little while ago I had some dolly's which made life a lot easier moving a car around without wheels, but sold them in a deal a few months ago. Once I missed they're convenience I decided to buy some castors and make my own :)

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

So now the golfs on wheels again :)

The hoist works:

hoist.jpg

So today then I carried on stripping the Golf.

Cut the roof off ready to get the dash out without restriction.

Here I'm just waiting for the screen to give way:

IMG_1486.jpg

Then once id had, lifted out the way:

IMG_1490.jpg

I did a few more bits not related to the project so I wont bore you with that!

More to come later in the week.....

Today then!

So got the hoist into action again:

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

And got the beam off and tank out:

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Then got the 9" out:

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

Then carried on:

IMG_1603.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

Then tidied it up ready to get weighed in:

IMG_1607.jpg

Just waiting for the ECU to turn up this week, and also still hunting for a sump and we can get it running :)

Well today I scrapped the rubbish, and positioned what was left ready to get on with. Sumps due tomorrow, gaskets ordered just need to sort bolts! Once it was positioned I rigged up a battery and leads and turned the key. It turned over so at least its not siezed lol

IMG_1630.jpg

Had an hour today, and because I'm still waiting on parts I decided to just strip the front of the polo cosmetically (not mechanically until the VR is a definite runner) and got the dash out the VR shell....

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

So with everything we needed, Si and I went up to get her running.....

Suffice to say it wouldnt run, so either the engines shot, or our feeble hand fuel pump wasnt enough.

TBH the noises it was making whilst turning over were bad so we reckon its fooked. Anyway I'm in profit already with the bits ive sold off it so buying another donor isnt a problem. ill use this one to get it mocked in the polo so we can just swap it for a goodun (thats if I don't deck it, rim it and use it as a 1.6 till a suitable engine is found!)

Heres Si looking pretty:

IMG_1811.jpg

So today I went back up there and started work:

IMG_1814.jpg

Slotted the Cupra bumper on for now to save it kicking around the floor:

IMG_1815.jpg

Then carried on stripping:

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

So the left over shell is ready to scrap, and I need to decide whether to strip the Polo now, or start using it really.....

Sooooooooooooo, today then!

Started on the Polo:

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

Progress is being made :)

So thats what we are up to. Ive just read Pesha's thread and he is using the following:

VR6 front crossmember

VR6 Front Subframe

Polo Rack

VR6 Wishbones

VR6 Shafts

VR6 Hubs

VR6 ARB

VR6 Brakes

VR6 Front struts

Ibiza Rear Axle

VR6 Rear Stub Axles with spacers between the hub and beam

VR6 Rear Brakes

Ibiza Rear Suspension

I know the inner CVs are prone to wear but is that all i need to worry about using the above setup? Just need it clarifying once and for all before i buy/refurb bits etc etc....

A quick 'shop if my mate gets new rims on his vRS.....

2009_VW-Polo-Saloon-1996-R.jpg

So tonight Si and I cracked on. Loom was next on the agenda so stripping began:

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

So now its to split the 1.6 engine loom from the car harness, and join in the VR6 loom back to it......

So tonight, armed with tea and pizza we set on the looms.

The Polo loom has all the lighting loom etc mixed in with the engine harness, so we needed to split the two and keep the lighting section and join it with the VR6 engine harness.

So first was removing the insulation tape which Si helped with:

IMG_2113.jpg

And the 'not needed pile' grew:

IMG_2115.jpg

Until we were left with a rough loom :)

IMG_2117.jpg

So now is to whack the engine in, route the loom where it needs to go then take the engine out and wrap the loom in proper loom tape.....

• 7 months later...

Right i forgot to update this, so ignore and date related stuff:

Well the Polo now has 5 stud disc braked rears.....

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

We plugged in and ran the loom ready to be retaped up:

IMG_2578.jpg

And now has a VR6 ;)

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

Well it is still in progress, so here's an update....

Got the VR back out ready to do the clutch mod:

IMG_2891.jpg

And modified the mount using this guide: http://mk2vr6.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=589" [sanitised]onclick=[/sanitised]"window.open(this.href);return false;

IMG_2895.jpg

Then converted the front to 5 stud VR gear:

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

Then got distracted stripping a Saab:

IMG_2901.jpg

Right can get on again now I have the Corrado VR6 Pedal box....

IMG_3031.jpg

And is now wearing BBS's:

280529_2205249460746_1532672508_2387723_197706_o.jpg

Rrrriiiiiiigggggghhhhhttttttttttt:

got the clutch slave cylinder and peddle box in:

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

And two VR6 cars that shouldnt be, parked together:

IMG_3600.jpg

And now the donor ive just got for its engine. If anyone needs bits, its being broken this weekend:

IMG_1754.jpg

Lol yea ya have.......

Drivers side mirror ( if electric )

Wat style dash vents does it have ?? How much for all 4 if it has the rounded 1s instead of the square 1s.......

Drivers side elec window switch

An poss a few other bits wen i remember wat they are lol

Yeah im hoping to do Mk3 Cupra front end if i can find one cheap enough...

I am a novice in the VW world' date=' but did Vauxhall engine conversions very regularly back in the day!

[/quote']

cool how cheap is cheap as I've a friend with some body parts, pm me if u like :)