changing spark plugs on 24v

Hi all,

The 4motion is just passing 75K miles and spark plugs are needing changed soon, they were last changed at 40Kservice. (ive had spare new OEM NGK plugs sitting in boot for 3 years now, LOL!!)

Engine code is AUE and it has 1 main coil transformer with the HT leads. (ie not individual coils)

Change interval is 40Kmiles, although I dont think theres a time limit on them?

Anyhoo! Just wondering if theres any special VW sparkplug socket needed to change them or if a standard spark plug socket will do the job?

Any help appreciated, Cheers

Thanks Bungy, Will do that:-d

Does anyone have a reliable source for the torque wrench setting when doing them up? Ive found a few conflicting settings. 25Nm, and 20Nm??? And whats peoples views on using an dab of copper slip on the threads? (Ive never used it on spark plugs.)

i allways use copper slip mate i a just do them up untill i think yeah thats about it never torqued them down

Cheers, I think i will just do that mate, I am a bit obsessed with things being at the right torque but i suppose its not critical with spark plugs....just as long as there not so loose so they slacken off or so tight they strip the threads or are a pig to remove next time.

I have tried taking mine out on the R32 but didnt know what to do to get coilpacks out. So left em as didnt fancy breaking anything

Theres a special tool for removing coil packs but you can usually improvise with things that are lying around in the bottom of a toolbox. I haven’t tried it on a VR6 but on the other half’s lupo I use cable ties looped under the coil and pull them. They need a bit of a yank but if your careful and they are pulled inline with the plug its fine.

Disconnecting the cable connection on top of the coil pack can be a bit fiddly and the covers are easily broken. The toil is available from Laser for about £20. If you Copper slip them it changes the torque setting required if the handbook torque is set dry. I did the way Russ suggested when I changed mine and did them hand tight. You can feel when they are against their shoulders.

Done, Piece of cake! motor @ 75k miles.

No torque wrench setting applied, just tightened a reasonable ammount by hand with ratchet, didnt use copper slip or anything as the threads on the ones that came out were in great condition after 36k miles and what i worked out to be over 6 years since they were last changed! There was no debris down in the recesses but just gave a quick blow ( eh! ) to make sure it was clear.

Thanks to all who had input to this and i hope it helps other people out too.