Hi all,

Some of you may know or have seen my vr and the paint job is quite good for the year of the car (1992 J) but whats annoying me the most is the swirl marks so want to have a go at sorting this,

march5th012.jpg

I have recently acquired a orbital polisher so just need peoples advice on what product i need to purchase compound/pads/polish/sealant etc,

in the past i use meguiars gold class/ autoglym srp / dodo juice purple haze but only used these by hand,

Any help apprecated, cheers :)

start off with the least aggressive combo and work your way up till you get the result you want on one area, you want the finest polish and the softest pad you can while still getting the result, then you know what combo to do the whole car in, dont apply a lot of pressure especially in corners youll burn through the paint in a second if you arent careful and keep moving at a steady rate to not build up too much heat, and you want to work the polish until its nearly completely disappeared.

make sure your cloths are the cleanest things you ever saw in your life, you dont want to polish the bonnet up to a glorious shine then buff off the residue and impart new marks.

if you dont want to be going through that process and buying polishes and pads you may only use once a good combo which will probably get you the result you want in one pass in the safest manner without having to refine the finish with a finer polish/pad afterwards is menzerna final finsh p085rd and a green polishing pad

Thanks for the help,

only thing im wary of is the polisher just has one speed setting, as long as i take my time, run over the area lightly and keep checking step by step and not letting it dry out i should be ok right?

ideally i could do with someone local to show me on my car so i have a better idea for future reference lol :)

• 4 weeks later...