Quick heater matrix question, some 1 must know

Evening all

Just in the middle of changing my heater matrix on my mk3 vw vento vr6, it has air con and climate control or climatronic as they call it

I have the dash all stripped out but still have the support bar and colum attached to eath other and the heater box still in place on the bulk head.. See pic

45dcd53e.jpg

I was wondering, is it possible to just remove the support bar, and just unbolt the heater matrix box from the bulk head to pull it forward a couple of inches, i can see the top of the matrix and its 4 retaining screws as it sits now, and i was hoping if i just pulled it out 2 " id gain enough access to remove the 4 screws and slide the matrix up and out ??

Any body ever done this or heard of it being done, its gotta be easier than removing the whole heater box as there is tons of wires all over it and my alarm system is bolted to it...

Thanks guys...

thats how i did mine dude...

undid the support bar both sides, undid the steering column to support bar bolts too, removed the bolts holding the heater box to the bulkhead, wiggled it forwards enough to get the matrix out..

Fantastic mate

Just what i wanted to hear, i thought maybe if i removed the support bar i could tease the heater box forward just enough to gain access to the top screws and with enought clearance for the pipes to clear the bulk head...

Ddid yours have air con mate ? i seam to have a awful lot of wires going accross mine plus its got climatronic so even more wires..

yours have air con or climatronic ??

cheers bud

All done and dusted now, only prob is my fan seams to blow flat out now, even if i stick the climate control on manual it still blows flat out, its either flat out or off..

I wonder if i damaged the reastat, or pulled the wire off by accident.. ?