Hi guys and girls

Next weekend im hoping to fit mk4 rear calipers.

I have new discs, pads and bearings on order. i have the mk4 calipers and braided conversion hoses.

Is this all i need? i have read somewhere about mk4 handbrake cable clips but dont know what they are and are they nessecary.

Thanks

Make sure you clean the bolt recess for your 8mm hex drive (pref. 1/2 drive) and is fully seated when you remove the carrier. Can be a sod to undo.

Might want to have new ABS rings?

I didn't use any MK4 cable clips on my handbrake. Holds well and passed MOT etc

finally fitted my mk4 rears. Took two days as i encountered some problems and it gets to dark to early at the moment.

Fitted genuine rear discs and wheel bearing kit.

Mk4 golf alloy calipers

Hel braided lines

and red stuff pads.

I used a dot 4 fluid and flushed the system with a gunson pressure bleeder.

Why does make brake pedal travel further than previous and pedal feel spongey.

try purging the abs pump through vagcom, mine did that when i swapped to braided lines, i found it says to purge the abs pump every time the system seal is compromised, ie you disconnected a hose. I purged mine a few times but it didnt have an immediate effect, the pedal came back after about 20 or so miles, at no point were the brakes down on power, just on pedal feel

It does say that replacing brake hoses, there is no need to bleed the ABS pump (from Ross Tech web site). I couldn't even bleed the pump as I didn't have the appropriate VAG-Com software when the pump was refixed after being completely removed. Hassle was that they did advise all four wheels not to touch the ground! so it was jacks, trolley jacks all round.

Not sure if this is the standard way of bleeding the brakes, but for the final few pumps for bleeding the brakes, I fire up the car and immediately the brake pedal goes soft and a few pumps later comes back again.

Can't remember how bad the feel mine was but at the least the car didn't move after applying the handbrake.

thanks for your replys guys.

i pressure bleed the system with the car off. Do you think it would make any difference with motor running?

will run the car for a week then perhaps bleed system again.

about time i changed my brake pads. I had worn through to the metal. Hard to believe i have 11 months mot.

As Lukey said try purging the ABS pump but it is advise by Ross-Tech that all wheels should be off the ground, so before jacking up all corners of the car make sure your VAG-Com can do it (mine couldn't as its just the basic limited version).

From experience thats the way I have done it, last few pumps with engine running/ shut off bleed nipple/ engine off. Don't know if its right or wrong or the norm.

Probably changing your (worn front) brakes pads will help the feel but understand why its puzzling that just rewnewing rear hoses, pads and brake bleeding, the overall feel is spongy.

I would change the pads ASAP and re-bleed and may be after a 20/40 miles - everything may be better?????

im in the middle of doing it,its actually pretty simple as long as you have the right bits,the mk4 caliper bolts straight up to the rear corrado carrier,you need to get a hose to convert the rear flexi hose to a banjo fitting,C+R enterprises supply these but the hose will come with the wrong banjo bolt for the caliper so reuse the original one from the mk4 caliper

If your discs, pads and bearinsg are fine, then just replace both rear calipers with Mk4 ones and get some conversion hoses.

Goodridge sell these 'conversion' hoses. These gives you the banjo ends required instead of the screw in ones which Mk3 calipers use.

Uses existing Mk3 carriers. My Mk4 calipers came with its own carriers, too much hassle to use as the existing metal brake shield needed cutting up to allow to fit.