OBD1 vs OBD2 Turbo Engine

Guys,

Im looking out for an engine at the mo, which im going to build up as a turbo. Im probably going to make a hot runable stand so I build the engine up and Iron out problems with it beofre i put it under a bonnet.

I know the ignition system is different but is there any real advantage or disadvantage between an OBD1 and OBD2 unit when it comes to charging?

In terms of the engines them selves physically is there little or no difference? Ive noticed a lot of OBD1's about whioh are pretty cheap which would leave more money for upgrades.

Also is there any diff between a Sharan AAA engine and a Golf ?

i read somewhere that the earlier engines, ie OBD1 use better crank bearings that are much stronger, so better for the increased stress of turboing, not saying that you couldnt just put them into a newer OBD2 engine but a fair point if youre just getting either or and not looking to totally rebuild an engine.

Make the engine runnable out of the car??? You mean run it on a bench? Yeah you'll need the items you listed, plus a fuel supply obviously.

OBD2 is a lot nicer than OBD1. Cheaper and more reliable MAF, far better idle control, far better closed loop control and many more measuring blocks are available to monitor in VAG-COM, which if you are going to turbo this engine, is absolutely essential imo.

A very useful tuning tool is the logging. It even dumps your chosen channels into a handy Excel spreadsheet which you can forward onto your tuner if you're having running problems.

Ok I now have a VR6/rad/ecu/engine loom.. :) it came from a 95 car. It seems to be running coil packs on the fly wheel end of the engine, no distributor. Im presumig ths is OBD1 not OBD2.

When did the the key transponder to ECU immobiliser come in.. was that 97? If it was 95 il have to get onto the guy who I bought this from asap for the key.

Thanks for the reply Kev, and yes this is for building up and running on a stand/bench testing. Seems quite common in the states with v8's in the hot rod world.

Sounds like an OBD1 Corrado 2.9. They were immobilised 1995-1996' date=' ECU part number should end CP.

Engine number starts ABV.

If you go standalone, let me know, I'll send you a decent DTA map.

[/quote']

Thanks Kev. Il definitely check out DTA management

I saw the car the engine came out of and it was a MK3 vr6 which was M reg. It looks like the engine must have come from the change over period.

Just need to work out if this ECu had the immobiliser in it,

How tricky is it to disable the immobiliser functionality?

Another odd question .. the gearbox was already sold, but i have the starter. For the purpose of bench testing this, will any of the mk3 gear boxes go on ie 8v gti, basically will look for anything even a knackered box just to test the engine, and allowing me to fit the starter.

Apart from that I think i need a MAF sensor as i cant seem to find that in my bag of bits.

In the mean time im trying to order some steel box section, I have a big welder but little welding skill 8-)

Nah, has to be a VR6 box because of the bell housing, unless you want to get into box and housing swapping antics!

VR6 boxes go for peanuts usually and it would be a handy spare to keep around and rebuild with an LSD anyway......cause you will need it with a turbo!

Looking forward to a vid clip of this beast running on a bench :-)