my 93 brilliant schwartz 5door vr6

thought it was about time i started one of these as i have had the vr6 for about 2-3 months now. its a long story as to how i got it but basically i sold my bmw E30 325 and fancied something cheap, i got my hands on a very cheap J plate big bumper 5 door mk2 gti look a like and tarted it up and doubled my money on it :)

i then browsed pistonheads for a 3door mk3 16v gti or an audi 80 coupe. i stumbled across a few vr6's for little money so went for a look.

i went to see this one and it was a bit rough with a few problems but seemed cheap enough and it came with 11months mot and 5months tax. :)

it needed a new heater matrix, front tyres, passenger window didnt work, rust on boot lid and some lacquer peel on the bonnet. it had a few other small problems but nothing that put me off for the price once i drove it :)

anyway after a slight haggle i drove off happy

pic of as soon as i got it home

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

from what i gathered it just had a cone filter and no air box so i decided to keep with it for a while as it made a nice howl up in the revs.

IMAG0080.jpg

pretty much after a few evenings out and no heater matrix i deicded i couldnt take it anymore lol. dash out. took me just over 7 hours to do and i spread it over two nights. here are the only pics i took. blurry and dark lol

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

i ordered and fitted some jom bonnet lifters, didnt take long and makes opening the bonnet so much better lol

IMAG0082.jpg

next on the list was to yellow up the fogs as i didnt fancy tinted like every other golf ive seen. so quick trip on line, ordered some tint film and fitted it. wasnt too hard, trimmed down to size and used a heat gun to warm up and stick properly. one side done

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

i also jacked it up and noticed its running goodridge braided hoses front and rear, boge turbo front and rear dampers and unknown springs but at least a 40mm drop i would say. it handles lovely, nice and firm but not rock hard and it doesnt lean or wallow.

and whilst there i tinted the side repeaters and blacked out the front badges and removed the vr6 and golf off the rear :)

ive got plenty more to add just not now.

well since the pic ive painted the plug cover / engine cover, fitted a drilled airbox with a k&n filter, got another set of vr wheels and refurbed them in a darker silver/ mid grey. it has a scorpion backbox with twin dtm pipes and ive fixed a few niggly bits on the interior.

i think im going to do some more work to it, fix the lacquer peel and a new boot lid and sell it to be honest

well i dont know, i fancied a corrado but my mk2 golf really put me off in the build quality department lol. the mk3 isnt amazingly better but it is. il see how i get on over the next month or two. i also have a 2.9 inlet and tb that i will be porting and polishing to fit.

ok so ive uploaded a few pics but just trying to sort them out into some sort of order. lol

i took the stock plug cover off and flatted it down, removed all the texture, then plastic primed it and painted it in a light grey and then got some various colours of acrylic paint and flicked it over the cover and left to dry.

IMAG0095.jpg

i then filled in the vw badge and the dohc lettering in acrylic green. then waited again to dry and coated the cover in clear coat several times.

IMAG0110.jpg

you can see in these that ive started to flat back the section of the rocker cover so its a satin finish. not finished yet.

IMAG0111.jpg

i then got hold of a stock air box and drilled the bottom piece several times as a i have a spare. then fitted along with a k&n filter.

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

ive fitted a new ignition coil and amplifier, new plugs and leads and rotor arm, cleaned the dizzy cap and a new earth terminal for the battery as it was stripped and wouldnt tighten up.

so it was left standing like this

IMAG0091.jpg

then there are a few pics here. some are when the car has been washed and some before (i cant tell from the thumbnails lol) the front has got my new darker silver wheels fitted (minus the centres) and the rears are coming off to make way for my other dark silver two.

IMAG0119-1.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

you can also see ive fitted my new headlight washer jet and cap from vw. last one in uk apparently.

IMAG0107.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

oh and its got the obligatory german pressed plates on and on the rear ive got a black and silver vw badge and a rear german numberplate surround. i will wash it again and get some more pics of the rear. and of the rearbox fitted.

i think i will be selling the car once ive fitted the new front brake pads but im undecided yet.

not really done much to the golf as its more than likely for sale.

painted the wheel centres green and refurbed them a little as they were a mess.

IMAG0133.jpg

kinda goes with the green on my engine cover.

finally gave the golf a clean and took some pictures of the rear but by the time i got around to taking them it was filthy. lol

anyway here is the last few pics before it got really dirty.

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

thats about it for now. i wil be taking the wheels off the rear tomorrow and checking the brakes and fitting the darker silver ones.

and i need to get the passenger doorcard off to check the switch for the window out as it works off the drivers door but not the passenger switch.