Ok, really need some guidance guys!

Right - had the VR about a month now, when i bought it, it had an oil leak from one of the pressure sensors - had them both changed, all well. Although recently noticed i have another leak from what i think is the O ring behind the oil cooler. On my list of things to do, but ive been topping it up with the recommended Synta oil so no worries.

Last night coming home on a short 5 min trip, was going round a sweeping fast-ish (60ish) left hander and the oil light flashed and started beeping. Slowed down, dropped my revs low and limped it gently to my place, about 30 seconds on. The beeping stopped soon after i slowed down, put it down to me letting the oil get too low, and left it for the night thinking i'll check the level in the moring when its cold.

Woke up, checked it and it was low, so filled it back up and set off to take the little ones to school. But i had a misfire pulling away, which was a bit chuggy, but got better as the revs picked up, and seemed to be not so bad when i got back home 20 mins later. Now, i have no idea if this had anything to do with the oil issue, OR the horrendous rain and wind that was going on - i know i have a slight nick in the silicone of one of my HT leads that ive spotted, thought moisture may have crept in. Again thought id let it dry out and have a proper look later. But when i went to start it a few hours ago, nothing. The starter motor wont even attempt to turn the engine over.

I checked the battery terminals and the live was a little loose, so tightened and refitted the battery. Still the same. Stcuk a multimeter over the terminals, seeing just over 12v. The 'good' battery indicator is still green too. (for what its worth).

Dug out my VAGcom cable, ran a scan - engine 1 fault - intermittent low voltage - so i assume that was down to the looseish terminal, But still doesnt explain why it wont even try and turn over. Ive got the battery on charge now (even though my gut feeling is that its pointless, but want to eliminate that).

Any other suggestions? Im terrified its down to the low oil, cos i know thats gonna cost. What's my chances?

Really need to get this back on the road, we only bought the VR cos our V5 gearbox died and needed a car to get around in until we could afford another box! Any help appreciated :)

The oil light and beeping was as a result of going round the corner,. The golf doesn't have a baffled sump so basically what little oil you had in there moved to one side away from the oil pickup hense the beep. for the very short amount of time that this happened and as soon as you straightened up it the oil warning light and beep stop , I doubt very much that your current problems are related. The misfire is probably down to the nicked cable you mentioned, I had exactly the same, in the drk I could see a small spark as the lead arced out. Changed the leads and had no problems. as for not turning over, have you tried jump starting it? probably just a flt battery...engine is quite solid and bullet proof....ust don't run out of oil or water!!!!!!!!!!!1

Fingers crossed mate - i'll leave the battery on charge overnight and try early morning - was hoping i'd not have any problems with this car, i've almost rebuilt the MK4 V5 its had so many issues, bloody thing!

As a side note, if i need to get another set of leads, are the OE ones the best bet? Or are there another set that are recommended but not silly money?

Fingers crossed mate - i'll leave the battery on charge overnight and try early morning - was hoping i'd not have any problems with this car' date=' i've almost rebuilt the MK4 V5 its had so many issues, bloody thing!

As a side note, if i need to get another set of leads, are the OE ones the best bet? Or are there another set that are recommended but not silly money?

[/quote']

I bought mine from DUBPOWER, standard 7mm leads payed via paypal so cost me £40 posted....they charge for paypal...all I cn say, best £40 I spent yet. engine is lovely and smooth, no issing or hunting. There is a link somewhere to DUBPOWER. Infact, their email is Sales@DUBpower.co.uk or you can call pete on 07711420037, hope this helps

If your seeing just over 12V across the battery terminals it sounds low. Healthy fully charged battery can sit between 13 and 14V. Best way to check a battery if all you have is a multimeter is get someone to turn the ignition while your taking the voltage measurement and check it doesn't dip too low, voltage should stay around 12V.

If your looking for a cheap set of leads, I have a complete set I can sell you, always useful for spares. I just stripped them off my car which I scrapped. About 18 months old work perfectly, £20 delivered to you?