when i'm on the motorway my indicated water temp drops to just below 70 degrees and my oil to 78 degrees...

now, it's fair to say the car seems to be running without problems. but i've never had a VW run so cooly before.... this is my 11th water cooled, but 1st VR....

it's a passat B4, OBD1 if that makes anydifference to anything!?!?

in heavy stop/start traffic the water temp goes right up to just below 100 (which is fine i guess), and the oil up to 94ish (again i have no problem with this). but after 20 mins on the motor way, it's right down again. and when i come home from work i'm straight onto the motorway so the temp can be all the way down for the full 30 minute journey (ie, never "warming up")... so, should this be a cause for concern?

Its your thermostat stuck open, just fixed this on my VR6 with the exact same problem.

Gazbarber, you should have a read of this mate...

http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68720

Those low temp thermostats really arn't a good idea mate. Your car can't heat up and engage the correct map so your burning more fuel. The low temp fan switch on the other hand is a good investment.

well i exspect there to be a very slow resonse rate from the gauge but if its sitting at 90c i take it that it runs at 90c, the therostate opens at 80c and fans kick in when it starts to get too hot, i dont have a fan on the front of my car and thats proble the resone my nedle never drops below 90c and also the slow response from the gauge like cragge said