Engine transplants

A question for the 6-cylinder Mk2 owners really....

When attempting to insure a car that you've swapped a bigger engine into, do Insurers always insist on a receipt for professional fitment of the engine?

Or are DIY engine swaps OK, as long as a professional verifies the installation after fitting?

heres an interesting story...

mate bought a 2.0 16v nova, had loads of mega high quotes then tried liverpool victoria...they wanted to know which model it was originally...so he said, 1.2L...so they said ok then that'll be £390!!!! (about a quarter of most other quotes) all LV care about is what the original car was! he since part ex'd the 2.0 16v nova for a gte and it costs more to insure!

• 3 months later...
A question for the 6-cylinder Mk2 owners really....

When attempting to insure a car that you've swapped a bigger engine into' date=' do Insurers always insist on a receipt for professional fitment of the engine?

Or are DIY engine swaps OK, as long as a professional verifies the installation after fitting?[/quote']

depends on the insurer, but i think that most don't mind if you did it youre self as long as it has passed an m.o.t. ! amazed mate of mine had a corsa 1.2i, then put a 2.0 16v in. he did it him self and got insured ok.

ive just insured my cab 2.0l and it was £200 more expensive than the vr, while i was there i asked about a quote for the vr engine in the cab, was only £100 on top of that, but the VRT will be around £600 more, lol. all tpft with HIC. think ill change to fully comp once i have the vr in there, as it will be well alarmed and have a tracker fitted so should bring it down some.

but more to the point, all HIC asked me for was that the logbook be changed and once i recieved it back from DVLA that i send them a photocopy.