window trouble

If I put the drivers window all the way down in my vr and then try to close it it gets half way upo and then goes all the way down again. It was messing about today and took 10 mins to get it to shut, needless to say I wont be opening it again! Thought it could be the switch or the regulator, anyone had similar probs?

Hi, I am new on here but think I might have the answer. I Had the same problem with my 96 golf and after some careful thought worked out that the motor thinks there is an obstruction and keeps winding back down. So, I got some silicone spray (amour all etc) and sprayed it down the runners either side of window when the window was down and viola it stopped for about three months. I think the permenent solution is to take the door apart and re-grease window mech, but I don't know how the door panel comes off !!

Check the connector between the door and a-pillar. If the connection is loose/damaged/corroded this can do all kind of weird things with your windows. Also worth ceking the condition of the cable from the connector to the motor (brown thicker cable) which can become brittle and break causing similar issues