Hi

I have a Mk3 Golf VR6 - 92 k plate

Have been having probs with missing on start up for approx the first 5 mins, and so juddering while driving ( not very often ) .

My other half took of the ISV and cleaned it and all the pipes, then cleaned the throttle body, he did'nt remove the thottle body.

Now the car is still missing, and once that stops the idle is very erratic, reving its self, and seems to be running rich!

I called to VW garage and asked them to plug it into the diagnostics comp, they told me ok but they will need to rematch the ECU to the throttle body, is this correct since we didnt remove it ?

I now this is not a big job anyway 5mins on the diag machine as far as Im aware,

PS has new plugs, leads, and also cleaned the induction kit..

Not losing water, no mayo in Oil etc....

Think it could be cam sensor, or temp sensor etc...

have ordered a temp sender as its only £9.54 + VAT today, see if it makes a diff, first.

Any other Ideas if that dosent work?

There's been a lot of these sort of posts recently, maybe the VR's don't like this cold Weather!

I had a misfire but not as bad as what you're describing...

One thing a lot of people have been replacing is the Coil Pack? Apparently in the dark you can see it sparking, maybe try that tonight when it gets dark? Pop the bonnet and fire it up?

Hall Sender is the other thing........

Does this car have an Idle Control Valve? Just that i'd imagine this could also cause a similar problem?

Have you checked the compression on all 6 cylinders?

Cheers, it does have an idle valve, thats the Idle stabliser valve ( ISV ) that we took off and cleaned.. Sensor has arrived today.. going to check dissy cap and rotor arm as you have suggested.

one other point if I fit the new sensor does the ECU need reset, wasnt sure as some cars will still read the same fault even when new sensors are fitted, therefore needing the ECU reset?!