sound of a turbo VR with the boost turned down or off

how about before boost comes on? still sound like ye old VR? in the process of getting a bike so i might not need my VR to be quick.. although it would still be nice and i still love it.

i think its the way air gets sucked though the staggered intake that makes the "noise".. might still sound the same if you turn the boost off

Yes that is what I meant, below atmospheric, the VR6 still sounds like a VR6 (induction roar), ignornig exhaust tones and the turbo etc.

It's the short runner VR6s that have zero intake snarling. Doesn't bother me as I've never thought the VR sounded anything special anyway, it's just the smoothness and performance that interest me :-).

Indeed....boost with no boost, as it were, is just a massive restriction. You would HAVE TO run at least some of the boost to get back the power you'd lose spinning the turbine wheel.....even if it's just 6psi or something.

And by that I mean having to pull the timing back at wide open throttle to account for the exhaust back pressure in head.

And zero boost would mean removing the spring and valve from the wastegate so all the boost goes straight out of the exhaust, but you'll get a little creep at the top end.

Totally pointless and could actually damage the turbo :-)

• 2 weeks later...

ah fair enough.. i can understand that its a totaly rediculess question. to turbo a VR and then want to run it without any boost lol.

i just really love the sound of the VR. and if i get my speed fix from a bike then the desire to make my VR quick will be less. sound comfort and looks will become more important. I still have never hurd a VRT in the flesh and it might be a sound that makes me more hard than one in N/A form. I want more power from it but don't really want to loose the sound i love. If i could get that sound back from turning down the boost in cab, when i go though tunnels ect then it would be the best of both worlds for me :)

Take a standard vr6 with full airbox and add more sucking and thats what mine sounds like at the front (standard inlet manifold with large cone filter)

The exhaust loses some of the vr6 warble but it's still there and still sounds very much like a vr6.