Had a quote to replace the clutch, timing chains and possibly the flywheel if need be, on my '97 highline, by my local vw dealership. They said they'd need the car for 4 days and total bill would be £1600!!!!!!!! 4 bloody days.........they having a laugh or what! What is about doing the timing chains on these engines that causes a mechanic to give you that "sucking through the teeth, ooooh thats gonna be......." then he runs a mile!!!!! my engine is of the later, OBD2 type an covered 108,000 miles. what is the general sort of hard & fast rule about changing these chains, do they need to be done or will they last the life of the engine, cause i'm having a right game trying to get someone to do them for me. Whilst the gearbox is off to do the clutch, and the flywheel is off, i figure it be good sense to do the chains as well. Anybody else had a similar problem, or can recommend somewhere to take it?

Had a quote to replace the clutch' date=' timing chains and possibly the flywheel if need be, on my '97 highline, by my local vw dealership. They said they'd need the car for 4 days and total bill would be £1600!!!!!!!! 4 bloody days.........they having a laugh or what! What is about doing the timing chains on these engines that causes a mechanic to give you that "sucking through the teeth, ooooh thats gonna be......." then he runs a mile!!!!! my engine is of the later, OBD2 type an covered 108,000 miles. what is the general sort of hard & fast rule about changing these chains, do they need to be done or will they last the life of the engine, cause i'm having a right game trying to get someone to do them for me. Whilst the gearbox is off to do the clutch, and the flywheel is off, i figure it be good sense to do the chains as well. Anybody else had a similar problem, or can recommend somewhere to take it?

[/quote']

Where abouts in Lincs are you? I need to get my chains done at some point and haven't a clue where to start

• 1 month later...