Replacing my broken obd1 ABV dizzy engine with a later engine (AAA) ??

Evening all!

Just a quick question. My Mk2 currently has a dead ABV OBD1 dizzy engine. I'm struggling to find a replacement ABV lump, all I can find is AAA engines, OBD1 and 2 coilpack jobbies. Is it just a straight swop with all my electrics etc to get it to run? I know that I'll have to swop the dizzy drive and upper timing cover to run the dizzy again. Or am I better off binning the dizzy altogether and running OBD2 or 1 coilpack and rewiring it to suit?

Bit confused as to whats the betted option. I'll be fitting My 268 cams anyway so it's no hassle to fit the dizzy drive while I'm there if I'm better off with the dizzy option.

So what should I do and what's the best OBD or year engine to go for?

Thanks in advance, Ash

Hi i have an OBD1 motor in my corrado, The wiring is deffentley diffrent the coil pack motors use a sender for the cam possition so to wire that in would be a total nighmaire! Ther are loads of AAA OBD1 motors on the bay at the momet with everything you need and you would get a spare gearbox! The coil pack motors are very good the OBD2 motors i would say are a bit smoother mine can miss a little. The only problems i'v had is with the MAF meater. Not a chaep fix OBD1 are 200+ from euro parts and discontunued for vw! i think i got one of the last ones out ther form them! Also the pack its self can go i think thats why mine is missing a little but outher than that thay are pritty mantanance free and like all vr6 motors very easy to work on apart form the weight!!!!:-# If you want to use your cams cheak thay will fit OBD2 as the timing chans are diffrent on them the OBD1 has two like yours and the OBD2 just has one so just make shur the cam sprokets will fit you cams?? Hope that gives you something to go on. Col.