Hi Guys!

Iam hoping for some help from the experts regarding my project!

I picked up a P reg 2L GTI last year

Its got a bad gearbox so have decided to convert her to a VR6!I was a VW tech doing my apprenticeship in 2000 but moved on after 8months after some issues so hoping my experience there may help?!anyway I love a challenge and this is one with some great rewards

on to the car!I managed to pick up an OBD1 engine complete with all running gear ecu ,peddle box, shift box ect!Ill be restoring the engine along with the sub frame as to accomplish a straight drop on!

as far as Iam aware I dont have to work abt the Key and Transponder as this came out of a pre 95 car "K" reg

the one question I do have is!do I need the brake master cylinder to run the hydro clutch off?or will the Gti one be ok?

laters

Craig

I will keep ya posted the lump gets dropped off tomorrow by a good mate!and I owe him some well earned beer money!! the problem is he's doing it at like 7 in the morn so lets hope I don't drop it on my foot getting it out of the van!lol!

Well the strip down commenced this weekend!seems that a few seals where leaking as it took ages to strip the crap off the engine!thank the lord for a High pressure washer!

after removing the head I noticed that the top chain tensioner was badly worn and and a piece of it has broken off! glad I decided to pull the motor apart!

Ive decided to send the head off for a refurb and replace all the engine's gaskets and seals!the cylinders look fine!might just replace the big end shells? and bolt it all back together,??

wheres the best place to get all the parts from?Ive tried Eurocarparts but not sure if its the best place to go to!any input would be great!

ill wack some pics up later!

• 5 months later...

Regarding the clutch, was the gti a hydraulic clutch? If so then yes it will be fine. If not you may need a vr pedal box, clutch master cylinder and a brake fluid reservoir with a take off to feed the clutch master cylinder.

Regarding rebuild parts, tps are a favourite because you get genuine parts at a discounted price. Or you could try the likes of euro car parts etc.

Projects looking good, bet you can't wait!!

yeh man I cant!!!! unfortunately Ive got an old 2l 8v with cable clutch :-( I did get everything for the honversion so i might have all the bits for the hydro clutch setup?

just a few shots of the engine thus far... and had the car over my mates work to sort a ratteling exhaust....

Engine looks really tidy and certainly looks like you've put some effort into it. I read back through your posts and to be honest I use TPS and genuine OEM parts especially for seals and fixings. What did you paint your engine with?

went with an etch primer and then some good ol halfords matt black.The rest of the of the bits will be ford focus ST green.Gearbox, pullys,mounts and intake manufolds. Ive also managed to score some scooby front bucket seats for it!