Popping/backfiring and occasional clouds of blue smoke ?

Hello guys, new to the forum and new to VW in general. Ive recently bought a K reg VR6 with 114000 miles on the clock, is it usual for it to burble and pop on the overun and when changing gears at high revs?. It has a piper cone filter and stainless system and is sposed to be superchipped but I have no way of telling wether this is true or not? Would be handy if anyone could tell me a way of finding out wether its chipped, it does have a small exhaust blow at the flexi so im thinking this might be the cause?

The tailpipe is sooty and the car allways smells of fuel especially when cold, havent had a chance to look at the plugs yet. Also I get an occasional cloud of blue smoke usually when driving sensibly after ive been giving it a pasting. Ive been told that the engine could be breathing heavy and that when I give it a caining its blowing oil into the top end causing the blue smoke, would be nice to know if theres a cure for this or wether its something more serious. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the quick replies, Squid it does bog down occasionaly like theres a misfire and when hot it can feel slugish but it still goes off the clock with ease never driven another one so hard to compare power wise. John agreed the popping sounds awsome especially when you change gear at high revs scares the crap outa pedestrians! lol