just broke down!! headgasket?!

on the side of the road as i write this waiting for recovery..light flashed up on dashboard the one furthest to left..pulled over at next available point with steam coming gushing from the rocker cover. coolant has emptied and there was mist on the back of the car where i think it could have been coming out the exhaust. just called for a tow. what u guys think?

Could just be a hose gone mate' date=' the 1 out of the back left of the head, or 1 of the 2 from the heater matrix.

The light is the coolant lever low indicator.

[/quote']

yep looks like it was the one coming out the back over the mani..the heat from must have made it weak. . and would explain the steam..still doesnt explain the mist on the back of the car as it is a bone dry day. i'll get the pipe and see what happens. any ideas on price as i kno coolant hoses from vw can be pricey

Yes, pull out the dip stick, and if its blown, the oil will be milky coloured. Sounds like you'll be ok though.

The mist was probably from the steam coming from the engine bay exiting under/back of your car.