VR6 Conversion - Convert OBD1 Engine to OBD2 Spec & Passenger Airbag Fitting!!

Hi There,

Im about to do a VR6 conversion on my mk3 8v GTI, and I have a couple of questions!

My GTI is R Reg so will be OBD2 I presume.

I have manage to source a complete R Reg VR6 as a donor, so hopefully it should all be plug and play, the mileage on the VR6 engine is 155K but I also have a spare OBD1 VR6 Engine aswell which only has 75K on it.

So my question is, Can I use the OBD1 Engine (As it’s a lower mileage) and swap over all the Necessary bits to make it OBD2?

If so what bits do I need to swap?!

Can the OBD1 VR6 Dials be used with an OBD2 Engine?

My other question is about the Airbags.

My GTi already has a drivers airbag, but the donor car also has a passenger airbag which I would like to fit.

How is easy is this? Can it be done? Is it simply a case of find the airbag loom and plug it in?!!

Any Help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers

Matt

you will need to swap the engine manifold, throttle body ,ecu, loom, you'll also need the immobiliser loom etc A lot of hassle for 10bhp! From experience its not worth it although mine was a swap from obd1 to obd2 but my obd1 was dead!!

that's not such an easy conversion.

but still possible. you need to swap the upper timing chain cover and some 'gubbins' on the end of the rear cam shaft. The dizzy engine has some sort of spline to drive the dizzy where as the OBD2 will have something to activate the cam shaft sensor attached to the chain cover.

And even more reason to swap all the sensors.

The clocks would have to be changed anyway as the car is presently an 8v GTI.

The reason I ask about the VR6 clocks is, Im changing all the dash and switch illumination to Red.

To change the colour of the digital displays on the dash on the later cars is a right nightmare as the LEDs are soldered in. The early dials have bulbs to change!!

I just thought if I could use the eariler set of OBD1 dials I have iot would be easier to change the colour!!