From "BAD VR" to...... 'winter mode' & bbs building

My vr has had alot of body work done by the previous owner but i have noticed the jacking point are both rotten. my body shop quoted nearly £600!!! think i need to shop around!!

def shop around! I think i got somewhat of a bargain but you could def do better than that price just for replacing the jacking points. can give you the number of the garage that did mine if they are close enough for you to deal with?

• 2 months later...

major update.

last here late august. got back from holiday. failed an m.o.t. on a lot!! not sure where the pic of my test failures has gone from the previous page but who cares. past that now.

so to sumarise my test..........emissions were way too high. tyre had a gash in it. front n/s shock had no oil left in it. exhaust no supported properly, broken hanger at the rear box and centre box mount not long enough.

so i decided to take up paul parky on his offer and he came round with his welder and made a start on my shitbox.

this was the centre mount on my milltek exhaust. see how it doesnt quite reach the hanger. you can pull it over but it springs off in no time.

so we got a piece of steel and extended it.

IMAG0321.jpg

next was the hole in my cat.

IMAG0247.jpg

that was easily bunged up

cheers paul for your help mate. hope the finger heals up soon!

as my emissions were the "highest ive ever seen" according to the tester i wasnt taking my chances. so i checked the maf and found the plug was loose. gave it a clean anyway and plugged it back in properly.

next was the shocks. as i had coilies on i decided to replace all 4 corners with the same. didnt wanna spend too much but wasnt gonna settle for some cheap ebay jobbies so got hold of a set of these

Gen2Weitec_small.jpg

they're weitec hicon gt's. really good quality. (made by kw so they must be) only height adjustable but thats all i wanted

so i set them up as soon as i got them, just a sensible height for the m.o.t and while im working on the rest of the car. how it sits

IMAG0459.jpg

all that finally got me an m.o.t about a week or so later. happy days

next stop was the mare i was having with water getting into my car. firstly through the rear quarter window. wish id made a video it was really bad. basically i asked the bodyshop to paint my rear n/s quarter with the window out as it has rust creep. they didnt. just cut the seal back from round the window, keyed, primed and pained. that was my problem. where the divs had cut the seal they'd cut too deep and water had about an inch gap to flow in and onto my rear seat. not fucking happy. silicone out and i filled it from the inside. next stop was the windscreen. might have been the original but the seal was def knackered..

IMAG0451.jpg

not nice getting in your car finding the stereo wet and the gaitor full of water . so i got a new screen fitted and so far. thats sorted it.

after that i gave the sunroof drains a better clean out just in case.

back to bodywork. again you say? not long been out of the shop and i really wasnt happy with the results. the milky finish i had seemed to buff off but the finish was anything but consistent. the pasenger side was dull, hardly reflective. you can sort of see it in previous pics. it didnt really have any depth or shine. the paint was peeling around the rear quarters in the seam under the rear clusters. this turned out to be a botched paint job from a previous owner as the new paint and lacquer came off..with another coat of lacquer under it! couldnt be arsed to sort it myself. back in the bodyshop to have it wet sanded, rear quarters completely resprayed again and the whole car mopped again. hopefully that will sort it.

that pretty much where its at at the moment. in between the big jobs ive done this

IMAG0479.jpg

its dirty and im sick of it being a puke colour. so plan is, suede or something dark to cover it with. already got black grab handles from a passat. on the hunt for cabby visors and will prob end up painting the rest

also. these i sold as they didnt fit, shame as they looked good

IMAG0230.jpg

shockingly some of you might say, i sold these

IMAG0458.jpg

nice but not the direction i thought i was going with the car

so rolling on these sh***rs again

IMAG0233.jpg

not for long as i managed to find for a good price, some of these

IMAG0457.jpg

spent a while splitting them. having the dishes and nuts polished and getting the centres powder coated. probably not the best idea ive had with winter approaching but i think they look the nuts.

opinions???? also any ideas fopr headlining retrim welcome. as im not totally decided

• 3 weeks later...

not got a lot done as ive ben away working during the week. so the car hasnt seen much love monday - friday. but as its taken so friggin long to get my centres refurbed ive written the idea of getting them on the car asap off in favour of the 'winter mode' look. so i succumed to the inevitable and decided the massive and unsightly 60/65 profile tyres on my pepperpots needed replacing so i went from this at the weekend

IMAG0234.jpg

to this

090.jpg

also decided i needed a pair of these as the black sills were boring

093.jpg

next up i had a go at fitting a polo 6n door handle to the n/s. might have to do the o/s as well now as i think it looks good de-locked. just need to get a new battery for the fob. just in case!!

092.jpg

will hopefully get round to finish polishing the 180 odd bbs bolts so i can get my rims built up, pics up when i pull my finger out

fairly sure id seen a mk3 with g60's on. might be wrong. 4 stud aint really a problem. plenty of adapters out there.

will have to stick with the 'pots now anyway. skint as it is and -a new set of tyres as well, and whats its cost me to refurb the rs's, retrim the headlining, and all the other bits and pieces im buying. christmas is going to be good this year for someone!

• 4 weeks later...

not a lot of progress here. had an oil change today and fitted a set of boot lifters under the bonnet as the manual bonnet stay is ugly. other than that not a lot to report. with reason.... i think i may be selling up. ive been chasing my tail with vw's now for a year. first the rado, then two golf vr's. finally got a good one but ive run out of time to put into it. ive spent a fortune on it in the time ive had it and done sod all miles as it been in garages longer than on the road but ive got guaranteed work for 6-9 months and its non stop 60 hours a week minimum not including travelling. so ive got a tough choice to make. do i keep it in the state its in now and not have time to finish the projects ive got on. or do i sell it and let someone else enjoy a fault free car with bags of potential? decisions.........

i was going to go without caps but with the amount of salt on the roads i decided to keep them on.

id really kick myself if i sold it as it will almost certainly sell at a loss but there are so many things i want to do with it and i dont think i can stand driving it knowing ive got bugger all free time to finish it.

on the plus side its good to have work. nice positive twist bungy.

if it goes i think i'll strip all the desirables off it and sell it standard. expect a few 'choice' items in the for sale section soon. incluing a vr6!