Just read Mickelsons thread on the loss of coolant in his car. Mine drinks coolant like it's going out of fashion, yet alone a slow loss over a 3 month period. I'm very alarmed. My engine gets hot in no time at all, been told thats the norm by a couple of people. What's anyones opinion on these? :(

I agree, mine takes a few minutes to get to the middle of the gauge then stays there no matter what driving conditions. If you are losing alot more than i am then i would pressure test the cooling system. Very easy to do with the engine cold, although you do need a simple pressure test kit to do it. Sykes Pickervant do a good one that is used in the trade. It can tell you if you have any leaks you cant see, especially the internal ones. Does your VR have alot of white smoke , even when warm??

Additionally, your thermostat could be faulty, this will account for running hot, but not for the loss of coolant. If it is running that hot then you really do need to get it checked otherwise you will be doing your head as well, and i dont mean the one on your shoulders LOL

[ Edited Fri Jan 07 2005, 10:04AM ]

Okay, sorry, it seems i panicked a bit about the temp. The guage does what everyone elses does, i've always been surprised at how quick it gets to the centre though. As for white smoke, yeah it seems to give off quite a bit just after 20 secs running, but not when it's warmed up. But the coolant needs topping after every 60 odd miles running. Using the pink G12 stuff too. Sorry if this seems normal to you, still getting to know the car, even after a year. Thanx for the response everyone. :) &| :)

Starting off is to be expected in thi weather- should be just evaporating moisture sat in the exhaust. Maybe youve got a leak somewhere. Try what Mick says or a cheap way is to put something under the engine bay (paper or something white) and run it for a while and see if you get any substances underneath. Hopefully it will and youll know where the leak is. :)