Rumble in the Jumble

Ok, yes, it's another exhaust thread, i've searched through the many others but not quite finding the answer i'm looking for!

Everyone says Miltek has a 'nice sound' but what does that mean? Raspy, like a motorcycle can? Like the strange sound that comes out of new TOTR Porsches? I don't want the VR sounding like a fiesta with a cherrybomb!

I'd like to have a large displacement V6 sound, you know, almost like a burble. Anyways, any suggestions would be welcome, thanks in advance!!

use minimum 2.5 inch tube and go cat back with just a free flow back box. you want v6 burble you get v6 burble, but it get's tiresome after a while as it's to loud, for slightly quieter add a small middle box to dumb it down a bit

So it's all about the larger diameter tubing?

And bungy, when you say you like the way it sounds, what does it sound like? Because honestly (and i'm not having a dig), that means nothing to me, can you describe it to me if poss? Because I was thinking about going non res, I don't do alot of motorway miles and I like a bit of noise (within limits).

That said though, I don't want it so loud, as in as loud as aftermarket bike cans because I don't want anyone hearing me miles away to know that I /might/ be exceeding the speed limit...

When I got my S4 I did weeks of research into exhausts and found as a rule of thumb

N/A cars go 1/4 inch bigger dia

N/A converted to F/I, 1/2 inch bigger or if going boost mad recalculate according to intake

FI dependant on how much suck it's got

but then the tricky stuff starts, with silencer size, shape and construction and the effects on the speed of the escaping gases and accoustics. There is also a pulse or wave that basically travels back and forth and to get best performance must be timed right.

Then with V engines the effects and placement of different kinds of link pipe and how different designs effect the characteristics of the car and the drivability etc and looking at RR graphs for different exhausts

Basically I got really geeky about it, to the point of dreaming about exhaust designs haha

Custom exhausts are spot on for custom applications like FI conversions, engine transplants or reproducing obsolete parts etc, but you can't be R&D of big companies.

I ended up going with Milltek because their exhaust aren't for big bhp, they give the gains in useable and useful areas. Very little point gaining top end power at the expense of useable torque on a daily road car. Plus the choice of res or nonres, which made no difference in performance really

I went with milltek cat back non res. Quiet enough between 65 - 100 on long journeys (I did manchester to wales and back last weekend) but you also get the sweet noise of the v6 when you put your foot down. When I first fitted the milltek to the charged VR, it made a huge difference. When I fitted it to my current VR without the charger it made a slight difference but I think it was still worth the money.

Now I;ve fitted my charger the car sounds completely differently again. When you just have the exhaust and a filter fitted, most of the drone seems to come from the filter but after fitting the charger and it forcing air into the engine rather than the engine tring to suck in the air it makes so much difference to the engine note!!! From idle to 4k you get the V6 rumble with a bit of a whine but after 4k it sound like an evo8/9 forcing the pressure out the exhaust with a lot of whine!!! You'd have to try it to believe it but damn it's GOOD!!!

Cheers for the suggestions peeps, I /think/ i'm gonna go for Milltek non res cat back OR a Jetex. There's obviously alot of R&D gone into them and despite how appealing a custom job is I think bolt on is best for me here.

I just need to get to some meets to hear them so I can get a fuller picture.

I might end up replacing it with standard as I do love the V6 wurble when I give it some beans and I wouldn't want to cover that, only to amplify it so passers by and street folk can join me in grinning like a teenager boy who just felt a pair of tits for the first time..