Hi guys,

My first time here, so hi!

Just bought myself a 2000 mk4 4motion (74k, reccaro seats, satnav, etc) and very happy.

My rear brake pads were a little low so I've had them replaced and its stopped most of that unbearable sqeeking noise when braking. Whilst I was looking at the brakes I noticed that theres quite a bit of corrosion on the inner part of my vented disks - the standard 4mo disks as far as I know.

Question is, should I be thinking of replacing them? I'd like everything to be in good working order.

Also, I've seen lots of upgraded brakes for sale, cross drilled and the likes and quite fancy some, does anyone know if fitting them means informing ones insurance company? If so do they look favorably upon brake upgrades?

If my brake performance is increased, surely this means I'm less likely to have an accident hehe?!!

Depends really on how much corrosion is inside the vented area and any scoring / wear on the disc face. They are not too expensive to replace and a higher sinter rating pad will increase your braking performance aswell. Russ ( b road blaster) has just fitted some very nice discs to his 4 motion and I fitted a set of Pagid discs and pads to the front of mine before the Ring trip and it only come to £107.

Oh and welcome to another 4 motion owner....

as above realy rust on the vented area is not a prob but if the discs are lipped then yes look at changeing them and better stopping power is allways a good thing

as for costs well can be done quite cheap or mega money all depends on how good you need them to be

Cheers guys, I've come to the same conculsion now that you've said it too.

b blaster, you make an excellent point, no point upgrading the rear without the fronts. I think actually the fronts are already upgraded to the TT disks, I've got some invoices from the previous owner. Will check it out!

I've been doing a little research on those EBC pads you mentioned, they say in the blurb that they are not suitable for 4WD cars... I might be tempted by the 'red stuff' pads though, especially if it means I don't have to clean my alloys as often!