Whining noise from engine! Help!

hi jess, does it only happen when cold, or all the time? Pop open the bonnet, and listen out where your auxiliery belt is - could be alternator, or simply the pulley bearing....

does the whining noise increase when the engine engine rev's, or is it a constant noise?

listen to the engine on tick over... is there any rattling coming from the left hand side of the block next to the airbox?? does it get worse the faster you go?? does it happen when you have your foot on the clutch and are rolling??

lol! wel i changed the auxiliery tensioner and since then it started squeekin a bit but it whinining when i turn it on when its cold but when its warmed up its sound like a grasshopper lol! il open my bonnet and have a proper listen when i get home from work. it whining when im driving but its makin the grasshopper noise when its ticking over when its warm or if im rolling (im use sooo many technical words lol)

it could be the bearings in your tensioner pulley are shot... mine were, which causes it to whine when driving and it sounds like a nasty grinding noise when on tick over... if its not that it could be your water pump or even worse it could be your gearbox, but if its happened since you put the tensioner on then its more than likely that.. was it a new part you used or one off another car??

Can you take the pressure off of the belt again (as if you were changing it) and spin the alternator. Listen to the noise it makes, feel for rumble etc, do that on the water pump too. Also check for bearing play by pulling the pulleys up down left right etc.