Getting whining noise from rear brakes

just had brakes changed, discs and pads. had green stuff pads on previously that werent worn at all but told by mech that they were race pads and not really effective on road use because they needed heat to work.

anyways new discs and pads on and now I am getting a whining noise from the rear. it comes on after about 5 miles. you can here it faintly when your driving normally and more when youre slowing down.

could it be the calipers seized (prob there is that he says calipers are fine) and once theres a bit of heat in there it starts whining? or maybe the pads set wrongly? any help welcome

cheers, kinda weird but the handbrake light was always coming on after released b4 discs were changed now its working perfectly

problem was bad on monday after 5 miles, but gave it a boost yesterday and it only came on after around 20 miles, and it wasnt as loud, will give it a while and see what happens

When having new rear discs then bearings will be changed' date=' whether swapping old ones over or new ones which is preferable

[/quote']

as craggsy said the bearing have to be changed with the new discs as the hub n disc are all one part on golf mk3 where as on other cars the hubs independent from the disc. so if youve had new disc then they would have used ur old wheel bearings which are taper bearings n it sound like they havent tighten them up enough (adjusted).

think thats where the noise is coming from, just back from mot and it failed on drivers seat and number plate light, personally thats a result lol

but one advisory is slight play in offside rear wheel bearings, had a look on euro car parts and theres a orbis rear wheel bearing kit for 8.25, quality site

yeh i got my last set from gsf oem spec ones £11.50 each if its only slight play just take the wheel off remove the centre cap in alloy wheel remove the split pin on the castle nut on the stub axle and fit the wheel bck on with at least 3 wheel bolts n nip the castle nut up with a 32mm socket untile theres no side to side movement fromt the wheel . then re fit the split pin

see theres the problem, the beast is that bloody low i cant get a jack underneath lol

on way to find a seat noticed as well that its only making the noise when im turning to the right so that backs up the theory, think i will just get new kit and get it fitted somehow

cheers all for the help

As per Craggsy, you normally have new bearings fitted when the rear discs are changed. They are a press fit into the back of the disc and a) it is quite difficult to extract the old ones without damaging them B) they are so cheap you might as well do it when you have new rear disks c) it costs potentially as much in labour to get them out as it does to buy new ones!