A pull and a knock, maybe a bit more

Hi,

Experiencing car pulling to the left, not just under drive but under braking too, also if just rolling slowly to stop. Had tracking/wheel alignment done.

Also experincing a rather loud knock on full lock, generally on left hand down(left lock) when reversing into a space etc. At first assumed front left associating it with above problem, but seems to be actually the right front that knocks. When pulling back out of space full locking to right bit of a knock again. bit of movement in steering wheel when knock occurs.

Also...lol(it is a good car in good condition, honestly,just these issues at presnet) whilst hitting some high figure the other week on acceleration, during gear change 3rd to 4th big sideways movement left during clutch and shift then back to the right on power back on. Had similar prob in a previous car down to wishbone rubbers worn, but that usually was accompanied by alot of drifting and loose steering in a straight line.

Car not been bumped to my knowledge.

Planning on changing lower wishbones and anti roll bars both sides to start, any good??

Sorry to rant on but thought i'd get as much info in as poss.

thanks in advance everyone!

Got the same loud knock problem on my Mk3 GL. I've changed a gearbox mount a year ago, NSF lower ball joint which was split, both top mounts which had play and both wishbone bushes that were split and still have this problem.

I was told that the wheel bearing is tilting in the hub by a VAG tech, feels a lot more like its the NSF. A quick test was to reverse full lock on an incline and see how loud it is then as opposed to a flat road. I checked the wheels for play, checked all the engine mounts, thought it was a driveshaft/CV problem too. At the moment the Wheel bearing is the cheapest thing to change first so I'll do that and let u know!

Leon fella that would be brilliant.

I cant find any play in wheel's or steering. Its the pull to the left thats driving me nuts!!! I noticed the other day or i think i did, walking towards the car on a flat road and thought the left front wheel 'looked' like it was tilting out at the top???

let me know how your's goes as soon as you do it. ta

Where did you get the tracking checked? Was it done on one of the really sophisticated laser alignment machines - such as a CORGHI? Would tell you if camber (front wheel 'looked' like it was tilting out at the top) and toe and caster are OK or not. There are a lot of muppets out there when it comes to tracking and alignment.

Agree you could have a CV joint gone. Car park, full lock and drive, they kind of click/knock if one is knackered.

Engine mounts - bonnet up, mate at front, hand brake on (and chocks if going for it) and take little bights with the clutch - don't run mate over! - see if engine rocks under torque.

More sound advice, thanks nigel!!! will be trying this too,although would you recommend a mate less favourable than a best friend in case it goes wrong,lol maybe an aquaintence rather than friend....mwAHHH haa haa-thats my evil laugh btw.

The tracking was done over 6 months ago when 2 front tyre's changed. Tyres fitted by bro in law, tracking/alignment done by NATIONAL TYRES if im honest i dont know enough about them as i dont use kwik fit type tyre places etc but the garage my bro in law works at send their clients cars up the road to them to track and i got it done for a tenner.

Tbh the knock is bearable but the pull to the left less sooo!!!.....!!?!!

• 3 weeks later...

Long delay, sorry! You need to take it to a 'proper' place that has a CORGHI or eqivalent. The laser checking kit is fixed to the wall or a gantry. 4 post ramp and they do it with the car up on the ramp. The machines cost about £60,000!! So you should be able to tell. You get a sophisticated print-out which covers toe, caster, camber, front and back, not all adjustable on a VR, with 'standard' tolerences and where yours is compared to that. Green in tolerance, red outside. It should be a free check, only charge if they adjust. Most serious body shops have these machines....to see if cars they have repaired are running true....and they, rather than tyre fitters, really understand this stuff.