Hi

My ABS light intermittently comes on (but it's more on than off) and has done since I got the car. According to VAG-COM it was a dodgy right rear sensor failure, so I changed that and cleared the fault but the light still comes on often. Having looked at other posts it looks like it could actually be the ABS ECU that's the problem, as this can show it's self as a right rear sensor failure and it can be a common problem.....Also drving to work today - just driving along not breaking or anything - it sounded like the ABS was kicking in the noise stopped when I tapped the breakes. So I'm now really thinking that it probably is the ABS ECU and with the MOT coming up I want to get it sorted.

The car has done about 95000 miles.

SO....3 questions - am I right, is it likely to be the ABS ECU? and if so where is it and how easy is it to replace??Thanks!

the abs ecu is located under the rear seats in a 5 door car and under the front passenger seat footwell in a 3 door mate, it could be the ECU but it could also be the ABS pump that causing the prob. Mine did something similar and came up with a wheel sensor then when did what you did and replaced it but no joy, in the end I took it to a vehicle diagnostic place who told me it was the pump - replaced that and all good :)

Its under the pump under the bonnet on a obd2 car. Under your rear bench are the plugs for your rear sensors swap them over ie plug L to R and R to L then clear codes...get it to fault again....if its still says right then its 99% ecu under the pump. Make sure you get the EXACT same part number will prob be 3a0 879 379 E iirc (this is if you car is a 95/96 on.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks...It's been ages since the last post and I've had trouble with my VAG-COM. Anyway got that sorted and I'm pretty convinced that the problem is the ECU and the problem is getting worse so I'm trying to get hold of another unit.

The part number on my buggered pump is 1h2 614 217 c not 3a0 879 379 E so I hope the right ones been fitted to start off with.