Been having some issues with my handling for a while now. The car is wandering all over the place, the slightest gust of wind or bump/crack in the road and its heading for the nearest hedge. Its at the stage now where I feel unsafe.

A few weeks ago I had finally had enough and took it to my local garage to get them to check over the handling problem and to fix a problem with the ABS. I got a call from the garage about an hour later saying that the wheel bearing was needing tightened up and this is also what was causing the ABS problem. I was under the impression that the front wheel bearings are cassette type bearings, so how or can they be tightened up? And how would that effect the ABS? It felt ok for a day, then the handling went back to normal and the ABS started to play up again.

All the suspension parts are not even a year old, I fitted new poly bushes, ball joints, arb links, track rod ends, top mounts/bearings and konigsport coilovers. I also had the 4 wheel alignment done at the same time.

Could this all be down to shot wheel bearings?

Any suggestions/help welcome. This is driving me insane.

This problem i'm having seems to be getting worse' date=' has anyone ever had a knackered wheel bearing before without it making a rumbling/grinding noise?

[/quote']

I have had a bearing go before without any prior warning. Just merrily driving along and went to slow down and my brakes failed :o Garage said that as the bearing was pretty much shot, the wheel had got so hot that the braked just gave up.

Only thing i had noticed was that it had started feeling a bit swishy when driving but that was it. Only when i drove it to the garage later that day did it start rumbling and grinding.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you VAG com'd the car? If the front end is spotless, rear axle bushes are common for a wander. Also though, faulty wheel sensors can cause the ABS to lock a brake on, but it's normally quite noticable, i'm just wondering wether it could be slight, hence causing a slight pull. Cracked ABS ring?

• 1 month later...