Power Steering whine

Thanks have now located where I should be looking. Will be investigating further today, assuming that it needs topping up can you advise the preferred brand I should use and how much do I need, is there a danger in overfilling for example? Many thanks for all your help.

next to the washer bottle' date=' thats behind the battery, but in front of the coolant expansion tank... it should have a green cap, but sometimes is black, if you follow the pipe from the PAS pump, it will lead to the bottle.

Pete

[/quote']

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't think power steering should whine when you rev the engine.

If it whines only when turning the wheel, and you've already topped up the fluid then maybie your power steering pump has gone? I'm no expert.

Also, the fluid in the system needs to be changed according to the service schedule, those fluids break down over time and become 'spongy'. Essentially its because its an organic compound, and when your using a fluid in a hydrolic situation, i.e. total force inputted in one end equals the same force outputted the other end you dont want the liquid to compress at all (which it can do once it starts to break down).

If I've got any of this wrong, someone more knowlegable please correct me!