sharan syncro

hi hope someone can help im a vw virgin and have been struggling to get info on the servicing needed for my vr6 basic engine and oils no probs auto gear oil no probs top up system a pain but not a prob had the car plugged in to a computer its telling me a charcoal filter needs changing ?????? what is it and were is it. next prob with it being 4 wheel drive does it have a transfer box connected to the auto box at the front i can see the rear trans box??? what oil do they take and if i remove the front drive shafts (they need new inner boots fitting) will the oil come out the local vw dealer is no help at all just told me "bring it in and we will sort it for you" yeah right can do these jobs myself have got pits and ramps at work for the forklifts and a bit of mechancal knowledge. lol!!! just need the information pleases help *-)*-)(i)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

According to my Autodata, the auto gearbox uses VW ATF (automatic transmission fluid) and takes 3.5 litres from empty. It also states that the front differential on an auto takes 0.8 litres. I've never seen or worked on one so I'm not sure if that forms part of the transmisson capacity or not. The rear diff uses 1.0 litre of 75W/90 synthetic oil but you may need to double check that as it does not specify a syncro.

As for your drive shafts, again I've not seen a Sharan but on Golfs and Corrados, there are star headed bolts which allow the driveshafts to be removed without oil spilling out everywhere. Basically the part of the joint that goes into the gearbox stays in place once the star bolts have been undone. I can't say for certain but have a look around the inner CV boots for the star bolts and if they are there, you should be onto a winner.

I hope I've made sense and been of a some help. Let us know how you get on.

Kevin

• 8 months later...