Bit of a long shot, is there n e one in the salisbury / poole / s'ton area who has done the timing chains b4? I have the skills but lack the experience, knowledge and most of all facilities. The Army only lets me work on Tanks in the hanger, n e way, 2 dirty an environment for my VR LOL. i would prefer to do the job myself with assistance from a local club member who has done it b4. Rather offer some cash your way than to a dealer etc. Not looking at doing it probably till April / May next year cheers :|

I assume it is an engine out job. i have an automatic dare i say it (although great for commuting everyday) will this make any difference. is it tricky due to the alignment of the cams, can a tool be purchased for this, if so, do you know where. i am not a lover of VW dealers!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited Tue Dec 07 2004, 06:15PM ]

Not at all, i havent checked yet. i just have this concern as i have with most cars that at this kinda a mileage the cam belt needs changing. I appreciate this is chains etc and last alot longer but just didnt want to hear that horrible rattle when I open it up and it all goes bang!! i am sure it was yourself who gave me some advice a while ago about checking them. I will have to look back and see. Is it a fairly simple job to check. I am a mechanic but not experienced on VR's. i have 17 years experience on Challenger Tanks , they have a fairly complicated management system but are not as intricate as this little engine LOL

if you can work on tanks you should be fine on a vr6...its quite a simple engine mechanically...it looks very scary until you take you the inlet off then it looks like a pussy cat.

get a bentley manual to help, then remove inlet manifold (just upper), coilpack, cam cover, and top chain housing and you'll be able to see the condition.