Gearbox Rebuilds

As you would have seen (possibly) i have a wanted add for a modified gearbox.

I'm about to start an overhaul of my car after another year of trackdays and 'ring trips and am fitting a 24v 2.8. I want to use the 12v gearbox but with the 16v internals for a more track biased gearing set up. Either that or a different final drive from a G60 being the alternative. My question then is -

a) Which will give the best track set up? (Pure track car, doesn't matter about cruising speeds etc)

B) Who does Gearbox rebuilds and any rough prices?

c) Who do you use for these rebuilds, any reccomendations?

I am doing the conversion myself but having looked at various other gearbox rebuild threads floating around i don't think it is something i could do and i don't think it is something that i would want to try. I would rather pay for it to be done properly first time.

Anyone help?!

Thanks in advance

Ben

Stealth racing rebuilt my gearbox, G60 final drive and Quaife LSD, your talking over a grand for that, easily.

Sticking with 5 speed, or going for 6 soeed?

some info from Kev below:

Here are some figures based on 3.39 (standard), 3.68, 3.94 and 4.24 crown wheels. Tyre circumference and rev limit are 17" Eagle F1s (1872mm) and 6500rpm respectively.

Bear in mind if youre into 1/4 miles, you won't pull 60 in second with the 3.68 and lower diffs without raising the rev limiter to 7000rpm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Gear gives 24.509 MPH/1000 RPM

70MPH=2856RPM

Top Speed in 1 gear = 35.402 MPH

Top Speed in 2 gear = 63.123 MPH

Top Speed in 3 gear = 91.658 MPH

Top Speed in 4 gear = 129.923 MPH

Top Speed in 5 gear = 159.310 MPH

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Gear gives 22.578 MPH/1000 RPM

70MPH=3100RPM

Top Speed in 1 gear = 32.612 MPH

Top Speed in 2 gear = 58.148 MPH

Top Speed in 3 gear = 84.435 MPH

Top Speed in 4 gear = 119.684 MPH

Top Speed in 5 gear = 146.756 MPH

Top Gear gives 21.088 MPH/1000 RPM

70MPH=3319RPM

Top Speed in 1 gear = 30.460 MPH

Top Speed in 2 gear = 54.311 MPH

Top Speed in 3 gear = 78.863 MPH

Top Speed in 4 gear = 111.786 MPH

Top Speed in 5 gear = 137.071 MPH

Top Gear gives 19.596 MPH/1000 RPM

70MPH=3572RPM

Top Speed in 1 gear = 28.305 MPH

Top Speed in 2 gear = 50.468 MPH

Top Speed in 3 gear = 73.283 MPH

Top Speed in 4 gear = 103.877 MPH

Top Speed in 5 gear = 127.373 MPH

I have the 3.68 in mine which is perfect for daily use. Yes you can fit just the "CWP" (Crown Wheel & pinion) without changing the other gears. It's the 'final' drive, so changing that changes the effect of ALL the gears.

5th is noticably perkier at motorway speed, as is acceleration through the gears. No the speedo isn't affected.

On the quaife v peloquin front, if you incorporate a gearbox rebuild (recommended) into the fitment of a quaife, the parts you get with the peloquin are included in the rebuild cost, so it works out the same.

3.68 seems like the best area for me, although sacrificing a bit of normal usability (70mph speed) it is only really going to do that a couple of times at cruising speeds and so i think that is the way to do it.

I shall give stealth a call and see the prices. It will be without a LSD as i cannot afford that at this time of year, its going to be an internal swap over only i think which is a shame.

Thanks

Ive got an 02a sitting at Stealth that justs been rebuilt with a Gemini 6spd kit if your interested. Kit is brand new. I was going to fit it to my 24v Corrado but Ive changed my mind as it needs other things as the moment plus you sound like the sort of guy that would benefit more from it than I would.

Sounds like a good set up, would this be a normal 12v casing with the 6spd kit? Could you give me some more information with regards to the set up that has been installed and the diff used?

Is the gearing similar to the quaife 6 speed set ups?

Thanks

Ben