Last night I was zooming down to Glasgow for a gig. Just before turn off onto M90 the car went sharply to right, steering wheel felt like it had been taken from me, at first I put it down to slight adverse camber as I was going down a hill at speed and sudden gust of wind.

However, steering felt funny so pulled over, suspected a flat but everything fine so carried on. After about 5 miles there were two loud clonking noises from O/S/R and squealing, followed by loud grinding noise - couldn't pull over as was in contraflow at roadworks, but got off after another couple of miles at low speed.

Pulled into a McDonalds, had a look but couldn't see anything but suspected wheel bearing. AA came out and took O/S/R off - confirmed wheel bearing shot to pieces and disc heavily scored. Took plenty of photos.

Had no choice (as don't have AA Relay and it was gonna be way too expensive to get taken back to Aberdeen) to get car taken to garage in Stirling to leave overnight, arrange for work to be done and will go down later. Me and passenger had to get train back from Stirling.

Now, thing is AA man is convinced that as I had rear discs and pads fitted at MOT about 3 weeks ago, they have overtightened the bearing and he noticed lack of lube. I've asked garage in Stirling to keep parts etc,. and have AA report that states found wheel bearing securing nut excessively tight - how do I approach garage in Aberdeen who did MOT work? This was first long journey at speed since I had work done, and the bearing had obviously over heated - but will they just say prove that it was us?

Also, what about expenses? Two train tickets etc - do I go in all guns blazing and or play it softly softly? Guess it may be a case of small claims, but is it worth it?

Cheers - disgruntled of Aberdeen.

Well the garage in stirling needed to replace the wheel stub axle too as bearing had melted onto it - £300 - so the car owes me over a grand in 6 weeks - feck

To be fair the MD of the garage that carried out the work said come down and see me when I rang him - I went in on Saturday, he had the other rear wheel nearside off and checked the bearing securing nut for tightness, said it was fine.

I can't prove that it was them and they won't admit liability, but he was good about it and said he wanted to restore my faith in them

So I asked for a full service, plus they clean the throttle body housing, and MAF sensor and he agreed

it's a compromise, but sometimes you gotta go with what feels right