help !!!!! running like $£%$

got my vr on the road yesterday and its now my main family car as i sold my meriva this afternoon, BUT i decided to go for a dive with the kids and after about 10 mins it started running BAD, mifiring, juddering, not reving over 31/2k and worst of all a tapping at idle which turns into rattle at higher revs

also sounds like there is air blowing from the back of the engine (hissing) and a sound like running water in the same area.Is my car dying??????????????? PLEASE HELP

ok ive sorted most of the above but the tapping/rattle is still there, i dont think (hopeit isnt ) the chains as it only rattles on accelerating rather than on overdrive, lifter maybe???? do ya recon an engine flush will sort it??

when you say rattle do you mean a kind of metal slap or a kind of something catching, or marbles in a can???

Just trying to understand weather you have a timing issue or something more mechanical.

The sound and its physical location will help us. If you are unsure of the location. Then use a screwdriver on the block and see what you can hear with your ear pressed up against it.. (the screwdriver) ..... you will hear lots of sounds so focus on the one out of place...

Remember to take your shirt tie off first... :P

goos luck and let us know how it goes..

cheers

Just had another listen with a screwdriver (next door think i have now lost it) and you can hear it on both sides of the engine but more so on the altinator side,(left) but also on the right back near the coolent flask ,the sound reminds me of a motocross bike chain tensioner almost like a chain rubbing alomg/hitting plastic

didnt need to worrie about the tie its a vr6 not a TT :-p LOL