Lowering a 4 motion photo's page 2

Some people have told me that lowering up to 40mm on the 4 motion is not a problem but after that then you have to use drop links. I ordered my AP coilovers this morning and even though there are drop links in the kit I was told I wouldn't need them. Is this right or a load of chutney? Any other considerations as I would like to lower about 60-70mm, apart from speed humps that is?

• 3 weeks later...

Mine's around 50mm - though I didn't do it myself. Since having the thing serviced last week, I've been told one of the road springs has basically broken, and so I'm actually looking to raise it by 10mm or so. Whether this has happened because it's too low, I don't know...but I doubt it's helping.

Picture here: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_yPW0651Kc54/SpLUxNRyShI/AAAAAAAAAEA/MfFjTylO6Uk/s720/2009-08-24%2018.54.50.jpg

I've spoken to people now who have lowered by 80mm and more. The 4mo lends itself to being lowered easily because of no restrictions like anti roll bars. Bottoming sumps out is a problem really low and modified top mounts for camber if going really low. My AP's are due on Tuesday and i'll keep you posted on how I get on.

I have scraped my sump more times than i care to remember and mine is stock, though i have been told it is fitted with the factory lowered suspension (r32 height??) so are the factory shocks up to hard use if i put on some other goodies like ARBs and the like or do i upgrade to coilies but dont lower to improve my handling? As anyone whos lives here or has been over will tell you some of the roads are truly shocking.

I have scraped my sump more times than i care to remember and mine is stock' date=' though i have been told it is fitted with the factory lowered suspension (r32 height??) so are the factory shocks up to hard use if i put on some other goodies like ARBs and the like or do i upgrade to coilies but dont lower to improve my handling? As anyone whos lives here or has been over will tell you some of the roads are truly shocking.

[/quote']

Would be really interesting to know your ride height if it is a factory setting. Any chance you could measure between wheel centre and wheel arch lip front and back? I'll do the same and we can compare. Would be a good guide for others. Any chance you could do the same please Jim?

Ended up being a real pig of a job even with the right tools. I started early this morning and didn't finish until about 7 this evening. Stopped now and then throughout the day though.

I"m gonna give them a chance to settle before making any adjustments but straight after fitting the measurements were 370mm at the rears and 360at the fronts. Once they've settled a bit i'll adjust and get the alignment done. Took it for a spin after around the block and initial results are very nice and it feels alot more planted.

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Liking the sump guard. I've had no problems with bottoming out with my ride height at the moment. I do need to sort my camber though and have simple solutions in mind. When I've got it done i'll post some photo's. Glasgowrob what have you done to solve your camber?