Advice needed for better heat management...

Hi folks, I'm looking to get a stainless six branch mani at some point, but I dont want to heat wrap it. I would rather do the following:

1) Buy a shield to insulate the cabin from the residual exhaust heat.

2) Get a bigger radiator.

3) Uprate the thermostat.

Anyone know where I can get the above ( and or recommend models ) for an obd1 vr ??

I know it seems a lil @rse about face but a mechanic I know reckons that over a period of time the heat wrap attracts corrosion & therefore shortens the life of the mani !! Thanks in advance for the advice....

Rich..

ok so your mechanic friend isn't completely on form there.

I asume you are running a daily rather than a chromed show piece....

If it is stainless then then rust doesnt come in to the game. yes the wrap will hold water but when your running at those kind of temperatures it doesnt stay wet for long especially if you are Forced Induction...

The main reason for keeping the heat away is so that the propgated heat levels which are higher due to the conductivity of the stainless means that the engine bay heats up and thus does two things. Reduces the density of your air. More so without the cold air feed, thus reducing the horspower of your car. Secondly (more in a hot sunny environment) can promote detination. This means that you run the risk of detonating the fuel mixture to early because the vales retain the heat that should have been drawn away from the exhaust pipe/valves.

So the larger raidiators/termostats will have little impact on these areas.

Yes they will reduce the engine temperatures but that is not the reason for the heat wrap...

So really you need to think about some method of removing the heat from the exhaust. Thus wrap or coat....

I Didnt mean to teach you to suck eggs here chap and I hope it helps. (h) ;)

ok so your mechanic friend isn't completely on form there.

I asume you are running a daily rather than a chromed show piece....

If it is stainless then then rust doesnt come in to the game. yes the wrap will hold water but when your running at those kind of temperatures it doesnt stay wet for long especially if you are Forced Induction...

The main reason for keeping the heat away is so that the propgated heat levels which are higher due to the conductivity of the stainless means that the engine bay heats up and thus does two things. Reduces the density of your air. More so without the cold air feed' date=' thus reducing the horspower of your car. Secondly (more in a hot sunny environment) can promote detination. This means that you run the risk of detonating the fuel mixture to early because the vales retain the heat that should have been drawn away from the exhaust pipe/valves.

So the larger raidiators/termostats will have little impact on these areas.

Yes they will reduce the engine temperatures but that is not the reason for the heat wrap...

So really you need to think about some method of removing the heat from the exhaust. Thus wrap or coat....

I Didnt mean to teach you to suck eggs here chap and I hope it helps. (h) ;)

[/quote']

No offence taken my friend, to be fair I had the same initial reservations as you but didnt press the mechanic on it... I hadn't thought about the second side effect of exhaust heat you mentioned though ( I think spelt det'o'nation, :P )