My vr6 is not driving properly, when on a open road, driving in a straight line, i let go of the steering wheel and the steering wheel keeps turning to the left (passenger side).

When i mean turnig to the left more like pulling to the left.

Also there is a grinding sort of noise coming from the front and also a noise that sounds like two metals rubbing together.

Had the tracking done when i got my new tyres fitted but the chap said the tracking is set to the best he can get it seted.

Any ideas ???

I was thinking on the lines of wheel bearings, track rods, cv joints, ball joints, wishbones and driveshafts.

To be honest the car is getting booked in to a garage to get the above all checked out.

Once when i harshly braked the car i felt a grinding noise that was it not sure about a stuck caliber.

also the front wheels are they ment to bang on straight or should they be slightly slanting inwards?

The wheels I guess would have a small amount of toe-in but not sure how much? Wouldn't be masses of it

Ref the rest, garage should be able to tell you, but worth checking steering arms, wishbones etc that nothing is bent, esp. if tracking already checked

Had my tracking, camber, caster checked the other day on one of those spanky new Corghi machines at a tyre centre. The print-out you get (most of which you can't understand!!) gives you the specified settings for the car. For the record, a Golf3 VR6 should be:

Toe: 00.00, tolerence +/-00.20 degrees (so they should be set straight ahead true, no toe in or out).

Camber: -00.70, tolerence +/-00.30 degrees

I believe these are the only two things that can be adjusted. So the other info tells you it's not right but there's not a lot you can do about it!!

Most large body shops (crash repairers) have these machines or equivalent. Very few garages or tyre centres (I think they cost about £60,000).