z-engineering supercharger info needed

Hi guys i have just got a z-engineering zr1 supercharger and i would like to give it the once over before the summer festival at the pod this weekend. so would like some info from people that have had experience with these chargers.

The main thing is what grade of oil do i use? i have spoken to various different companys and done endless searching on the net and this site but i keep getting different answers!

The common choices i have come across so far are:

10/50 fully synthetic

5/50 fully synthetic

5/40 fully synthetic

some one even suggested 5/30 fully but i think it may not cope to well when it starts getting hot.

So any ones views and opinions will be much appreciated.

The next question would be which plugs do i use but ill probbably just experiment with a few recomendations and see which ones work best with my setup, but again any info and opinions would be good.

Thanks in advance Luke

Hi Luke.

I have a ZR1 fitted to mine. As these chargers are a sealed unit and not oil fed, they don't need a specific oil unless you're repalcing the oil that's inside. (not sure what you'd use for that) If you want to know what grade of engine oil to use, then just stick to good old Synta silver 10w40 semi synthetic or an equivalent make. The thinner fully synthetic oils you've mentioned will be too thin for a VR engine imo, even one fitted with a charger.

As far as plugs go, I use NGK Laser Platinum PFR6Q 6458 plugs. They're the ones recommeded for Audi S4's and are a colder plug so will perform better with a charger. There are other options which I'm sure other members will suggest but I've had these in mine for almost a year with a problem.

Kevin

Well that also what i thought about the zr1, that they are sealed units with ceramic bearings and dont need any maintenance but apparently there is two different zr1 chargers and i dont mean the zr2 with cogged pulleys. ive been told that there is a very early zr1 and then there is a later zr1 still using a ribbed belt but has the oil reservoir.(which i believe is the 1 i have)

I found a installation manual on line in pdf for a zr1 and that also said about changing the oil and i have a mate with a zr2 and mine looks basically the same as his and has the little grub screws that is used to fill up the oil.

so this is why im getting a little confused.

Just to clear it up i was talking about oil just for the supercharger and not the engine, thanks for your input it is appreciated.

I am running a ZR2 and like Kevin said was under the impression that none of them has an oil feed ! your should have the ref/type number on it mate to tell you if it's a 1 or 2 - also bung up some pics or the link to the pdf and will be able to help you - I also know a company which sells the aftermarket parts and services the chargers so they could help you - will dig out some contact info for ya :)

Your right in saying they dont have an oil feed like the vortechs but if you look closely they have two little grub screws that are opposite each other and this is apparently how you fill them with oil. ill try and find the website again and put a link up cos it took me ages to find it but i have it saved on my computer now.

Thanks Luke. I've seen that PDF before and I know about the 2 tiny grub screw you refer to. Good idea to change the oil of you're not sure when it was last done. The company that Ben mentioned will be able to give you a difinitive answer. Tehy might recommend a complete overhaul if that's the case and also depending on the mileage it's covered but as many will tell you, the ZR range of chargers are a very reliable form of forced induction albeit slghtly limited in power compared to VF and more recently, Rotrex. I'm loving mine though ;)

Thanks for every1s input and ive also been told by somebody else they use 0/40 in there zr2 so ill just go with that and it should be fine. But i would also be interested in speaking to the company that deals with them if you can find the contact details for them?

Also does anybody know if you can get different pulleys for the zr1 so i can run more boost or will the cogged pulley setup of the zr2 fit the zr1?