Right, I've done loads of research but I can't find a definite answer.

I'm looking to download VAG-COM to diagnose my car. I'm not sure exactly what I should be getting so..

I run Vista Home Premium 32bit

Going to get a OBD2 cable off eBay, but not sure which one to use.

From what I've heard the older versions don't work with vista, but the new one do but don't work with the aftermarket cables?

If anyone can help it'll be great!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

got it spot on there me old mucker thats how i run mine ......

Ok.. not looking to spend too much at the moment so the legit one is out the question for the moment.

Has anyone got any screen shots of that one Ben posted up to start with?

Or just a list of what you can do/see/monitor etc

ie. does it have the same kind of screen with dials as the ones I posted up?

no mate the one I posted up will give you numbers but not the dialesque look of the ones you posted up - it wil basically give you the faults and codes for the engine and you will be able to read what certain parts of the engine are up to :) for the money you spend it is well worth it :)

Looks like it'll be ok then..

but.. does that only do VW Audi etc?? My dad has a Lexus with engine light on and want to do that too.

It doesn't matter about vista. Never thought to buy an old laptop that runs XP for pennies and just do that.

I have to say I like the look of the ones I posted up. But also a bit unsure.

Looks like it'll be ok then..

but.. does that only do VW Audi etc?? My dad has a Lexus with engine light on and want to do that too.

It doesn't matter about vista. Never thought to buy an old laptop that runs XP for pennies and just do that.

I have to say I like the look of the ones I posted up. But also a bit unsure.

should work on all vag ir vw, skoda, audi, seat as for lexus doubt it but neva know

should work on all vag ir vw' date=' skoda, audi, seat as for lexus doubt it but neva know

[/quote']

that's what I was thinking. As for software. I'm going to be guinea pig for everyone on here.

I am going to buy a laptop with XP.

Buy the software and cable Ben suggested in 1st place

Also have bought the 2nd one I posted up in O.P

I'll try them both and see what happens.

Can't do any harm and for only £3 it's worth a try.

Right.. I have bought this one that a few people said they use. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280311346654

I have installed the software off the disk, and done what it says in the read-me file. But when I try to test the USB connection it says "no interface detected".

If i go onto my pc's hardware it says it's running properly.

ok. it still says it cant find a connection with any version of vag com they have sent or i have downloaded

EDIT

To be a bit more precise. When i start the software VAG COM. it asks me to find the interface by going into options, the select UBS and press Test.

When I do this it comes up with an error saying it can't find the interface (or along those lines)