Anyone Know what this port is for?

Hi folks, I'm currently rebuilding my OBD1 engine from the bottom up. After doing a lot of research it seemed that it is possible to use an OBD2 head on the earlier block and since I had a brand new one I thought I'd use it. I noticed that the oilway on the chain end is very different but again after a bit of searching on here and vortex it looked as though this wasn't a problem. So, in went the head bolts and I torqued them up. It was only after standing back to admire my handywork that I noticed a round port on the inlet side that didn't exist on my original head?

Can anyone tell me what it is, wheather its needed/what I need to do with it or have I just dropped a huge bowlack?

DSC03157.jpg

ill try and work it out when i get back to work

the plus side is my engine builders put a obd2 head on my obd1 block just by changing the front covers off the end.

one thing to ask the new head is off a golf and not a sharan or something? im thinking its gonna be one off these use these numebrs if required on etka

Cheers for the replies lads but I think I've sussed it. I think its the secondary air injection port and can be blanked off. I know a couple of firms in the states do the purpose made plugs, does anyone know if you can get them over here?