I would like to change the springs on the front of my VR.

Over the past few years they have sagged a bit and are running lower and it has to be said, slightly lopsided.

Currently they are a "Proven products" full kit with a 30mm drop - shortened dampers, I presume.

So, I've been to see dlea and he's suggested that the dampers are fine on the front, theoretically that's good news!

I guess I just need some replacements springs and Dave said ideally I should get some specifically for the VR due to the extra weight up front, 100kg according to the handbook over the GTi and TDi.

The problem is, all the branded springs seem to lump the Gti, Diesel and VR6 in together.

I've looked at Koni, Monroe, Spax, Eibach and Weitec.

It's just a daily drive and I was looking for a standard suspension car when I bought it so lowered isn't that important to me, other than obviously it would be better not to change the rears if they're fine.

Budget is an issue as I don't really have any spare but I'd be OK finding maybe £200 to sort it.

I know suspension can get VERY expensive, but I'm just sick of cringing over small potholes at the moment!

Any suggestions on quality springs to do the job or other ideas gratefully received.

Edit: Oh, it's a 97 with aircon - not sure why the aircon should make a difference but some places seem to list different springs for with and without?

I have some springs I don't want, they are in used condition but they look ok. Not sure what make they are but they did come off a VR6. And they are red. Don't know how much they would lower a car but I'm not interested in fitting them for myself.

The numbers 07588385641 and I'm in south-east London.

Your welcome to them.

Thanks for the offer GraLaw, they're a bit of an unknown quantity and I'd be paying dlea to fit them so it's more of a risk than just getting new ones I think.

As I've heard nothing else yet, I'll probably plump for some Weitec springs, they're supposed to be decent quality I think. Or failing that, one of the others! ;)

Yes, they have a good reputation but it seems odd that the springs are the same for the 1.4 as for the VR6 which has an extra 120kg up front?

I can't see how the height will be the same between both cars on the same spring.

Hopefully, somebody running them will chip with some info on that.

Whats the difference between the eibach pro kit and the sportsline kit is it just the drop on the front? The pro kit states 30mm front and back, where the sportsline is 45-50mm front and 30mm back.

Xyber take it these are not bouncy on standard shocks? I have a coil over kit and its hard as hell and really bouncy. Also do you get any noices off them?

Cheers

Soportlines are designed to work with OE shocks, all though I did replace the old standard shocks with new Boge gas shocks which are the OE shocks if you buy from GSF now and only about £45 for the lot, Never had any problems with them, really good for the money.

I was looking at the Eibach range and managed to find some actual info on them (most of the others don't seem to want to part with actual info on their products...) the front springs at rated at 980Kg which is only just above the standard VR6 spring (950kg) so I don't know if they're uprated enough given that they're lowered as well - that's the Pro Kit at least, I only want a minimal drop really so the sportlines are out.

I've managed to find AVO springs that are purely rated for the weight of the VR, plus H&R make some but a bit out of my price range.

Supersport also make some TUV approved ones that are rated the same as the Eibach at the front but have a 25mm drop which might suit more - plus they're also on offer at the mo. So if I accept that a 980kg spring is enough with a mild drop, these are at least a cheaper option. I suppose a 980kg spring should give similar characteristics to the standard spring so I might be best going that route instead of looking for something stiffer.

Xyber you managed to get shocks for £45 all in. What do you mean the one shock and all bumpstops and the like is it. Is there any chance you could put together a list of all the bits you bought?

Also the car looks really nice on the suspension setup you have and i love the polished TT's spot on!

Cheers