Well, I now have my Mk2 ready and my VR Golf.

The 1.3 5 door Mark 2 beast: (Is immaculate. Only rust I can find is slight bubbling around the wiper grommet on the front.)

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

I have some designs ready for paint.... now to prepare!

(I need to do the timing chain before putting the engine in, so waiting on that.)

Okay, next pics are a day later. (All holes were welded up and skimmed with filler. Most of it not rubbed down yet, letting it set properly.)

De-trimmed on the sides and wheelarches. Rear badges removed (ready for another badge, watch this space ;)) and rear wiper removed.

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

Also got both bumpers off now. Front valance removed, grille. All that stuff!

Cheers mate!

It's my first serious project that will be completed. (I had a caddy before, but I didn't know enough really)

So yeah, hoping to generally expand on my knowledge through doing this. (Mainly bodywork, having not done much)

Should be fun! Doing the bulk of it hopefully over the next week or so.

Good luck too. I am currently doing the same, Just put a Vr in a 1.6 driver, same colour as yours but three door.

Going on holiday this week, couple of weeks after I get back its getting stripped, home respray, smoothed bay and rewired.

Are you respraying it the same colour??

Ah nice one!

Are you using all the brakes and stuff as well?

And nah, It's going to be another cliché golf sort of thing and have it satin black. I have some ideas with graffiti and stuff though, which should be nice. I might EVENTUALLY re-spray it again in Nato Green though.

Is your one being done the same colour?

I cant decide on the same colour, or to go with something deeper, either Bright blue metalic/atlas grey/ or a gloss black.

Yeah I used all of the mk3 brakes and rear axle.

everything i used from the mk3, bar pedal box and front mount.

I cant decide on the same colour' date=' or to go with something deeper, either Bright blue metalic/atlas grey/ or a gloss black.

Yeah I used all of the mk3 brakes and rear axle.

everything i used from the mk3, bar pedal box and front mount.

[/quote']

id go with somethin a bit deeper mate / metalic

Thats what I thought, but cant decide with the above colours.

Was also thinking of going with a real deep pearlescent blue, but thought it may be abit too max power.

With regards to your prep etc, any more pics ??

Nah not yet. Woke up WELL late today, then went and bought a new Orbital sander.

Got a MAC Allister one from B&Q. £30. I'd highly recommend it to be honest. 6" discs go on. My Dad is better at the bodywork side of things though, so as prep goes I am under his instruction to a degree. But yeah I hardly got much done today. All I did was keep working on the smoothing side of things. I should be able to get some more up tomorrow though.

Also, can you use the mark 3 axle? And how come you didn't use the pedal box from the 3?

Did you also put the dash/interior from the 3 in? That is my plan (got some mark 2 GTi door cards), but gotta look deeper into it.

I picked up my compressor tearlier, 2.5hp, 50l and 13cfm. Draper for £80quid.

I used the rear axle from the mk3 bolts straight up onto the existing mk2 brackets.

Mk3 pedal box needs rather alot of modification to fit, where as a corrado one is very simple!

I am in need of buying a sander, but was considering getting a air one, Is the one you have good then??

Also with regard to the mk3 dash, iI was going to do it, but thought id be better off sticking with the mk2. Mk3 dash is nice, but in a mk2 the mk2 is perfect, has a nice old school feel. Really glad I chose to keep it.

I thought I replied to this!

To summarize what I did write.... The sander I bought was well worth the money. And convenient. An air one would have taken a few days to get.

That compressor sounds cheap!

My 250l compressor has gone wrong, so back to a 25l one now!

Right, quick picture update!

As for the rear badge, I smoothed it off by welding a plate in the recess. I then smoothed it off. Next I took an old Caddy tailgate and hacked it up. Took the "V" & "W" from the back and tack welded it into the back of the Mark 2. The following picture is by no means done, but mid-smoothing stage! It is taking AGES!

DSC00423.jpg

Aww, a 1.3! How cute!

DSC00424.jpg

Soon got that out. (25 minutes for removal! Cut the driveshafts. Everything else was unbolted! I was working against the clock!)

DSC00426.jpg

Will have to do something about this arch clearance! MmmmCoilovers. Should be coming in a couple weeks time!

DSC00427.jpg

That's it for now. Should get some more progress at SOME point!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep should be unique to say the least!

I think before the engine goes in I'll be getting a lightened flywheel, uprated clutch and stuff. SO it could take a while for it to be completed! But dedicating weekends to it at the moment.

It's gonna take a lot more money though yet! Today I am aiming to get the Mk3 dash/interior out, remove the front subframe and the wiring. MIGHT be going out to a show later though so I might not get the work done! Should be some pics at the end of the day though.

Good pics mate,

any more of the shell with the new paint??

Should be stripping mine down within the next month and going all at it, few weeks solid.

im excited.

Also where would be the cheapest place to buy bbm paint?

And the compressor was a good deal, Think someone found it from a hire shop. but not posative lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah I meant to do a large update a while ago, but my laptop broke!

I am back to work now so for now I haven't done much. And been having endless trouble with my 16v.

And my laptop is broken, so waiting for that to be repaired then I can update with pics!

For now I have just stripped the VR6 completely, other than the fuel tank.

I am THINKING of getting a 3 door mk2 GTi instead to do the conversion to due to cost. By the time I spend the money on the 5 door parts (GTi glass and interior etc) I am thinking it would be cheaper to just buy a GTi.

So yeah, updates when I have my laptop back!