New Business Venture

Hey everyone.

I am being made redundant in the next couple of months and I have been considering starting my own business for a while so this has presented me with the perfect excuse to get on and do it. I just wanted to get a few peoples opinions on whether its a good idea etc etc. So please share your thoughts and ideas.

The idea is to buy myself a recovery truck and basically start transporting cars. We have a guy at work at the moment that we use and I know he earns good money doing it. I was going to go to all the garages/ car dealers etc in the surrounding area and let them know I am available to transport or scrap vehicles. I have no problem with all the driving etc as I quite enjoy it and I used to drive a recovery truck when I was a mechanic.

So..... Is this a good idea or will I fall flat on my face?

Cheers

Sammo

if you have the savings for the setup and some to live on for 12 months , go for it , make sure you do your home work and check for start up grants and speak to national insurance about exemption . working self employed is great but it can be hard to pay the bills when business is slow ,

its worth a go as long as you dont spend too much starting up. just remember that there will always be someone out there willing to do it that little bit cheaper. i work in the car trade myself and it is getting tough. have you concidered reposessions (i think you need a license by the court) but with the amount of people not being able to pay off loans and such, its a more flowing bussiness. and finance companies like contracting that stuff out

Really sorry to hear this, but if you don't give it ago you will never now.

I would say if you got a bit money saved up and its what you to do. Then give it ago, the biggest cost will be the truck i would have thought. So if it dosen't work you should be able to get some of your money back.