Sacrileage? Diesel engine into my VR6 mk3...or a corrado?

Hi guys,

As my credit hasd crunched, i am looking to run a cheaper car than the vR6.

I do love the golf, but the 2.8 is getting gutsy, as an option my old man and i are considering swaping a 1.9tdi mk3 VW engine into my VR6, as the mounts look identicle and there wouldn't be too much wiring to sort out.

I would be looking to sell the VR6 as a running engine, new clutch etc along with exhaust, ecu and petrol tank.

However i am not sure if anyone has done this before, i know i have seen corrado's with diesel engine swaps, which is another idea.

Can anyone let me know if the diesel 1.9 out of a mk3 golf is a straight bolt swap for the VR6, enine mount wise?

Is iot just the ECU, fuel tank, and exhaust that are the major compnents that need to be changed?

If i got a corrado with a blown engine, could i fit the 1.9tdi MK3 golf engine into it, again as a straight bolt in.

I understand wiring etc may need tinkering, but if the engine needs mounts fabricated, i wouldn't be looking to do it.

I love my mk3, and the chassis\shell is in great conditon, so i would like to keep it, but 45mpg is hard to ignore, and i really don't want to buy a £500 polo diesle for a cheap chugger, i am only looking at the engine swap as its a cheap engine i have sourced with all ancilleries (mainly as its all attached to a mk3 diesel in the papers lol.

cheers guys.

oh and please no pages of (aarrgghgh...noooo) i am aware of the issue of posssibly ruining a good vr6, but i am looking for advice on such a swap as a theoretical exercise atm, so all constructive help would be welcome.

Rick

i know you said no "dont do it posts" but why when the cost off a mk3 diesel is so low why do this ??

you would end up with a car you probably couldnt sell afterwards. If you were to do it wouldnt it be worth using a pd engine atleast its modern and has some resale appeal.

the engine mounts you would be able to use just the normal vw diesal ones there wont be any difference mounting points on a vr6 shell compared to a diesel one im not 100% sure ona corrado but i think its the same set up.

you would need a tank all the fuel fuel lines loom ecu exhaust engine clutch and flywheel prob a good idea to get the gearbox as well as different gearing etc

i know if i was looking down this road i would do the vr6 for summer or weekends get a nice vento or golf 3 put usual body mods on it (wheels coilovers lights etc) maybe put leather in it and use that. Rather than all the potential headaches you have afterwards bare in mind a vr6 engine and box will go for about £500 at most dependant on mileage etc

still playing about with ideas. Swapping a diesel engine into the VR6 car is a straight swap pretty much, but it is a lot of hassle, and could spoil a good car.

I am rebuilding a Honda Integra DC2 type R atm, for a weekend blaster, and to have the VR6 aswell would cost a fortune.

The other idea i am looking at is buying a cheap corrado 16v and a passat based on the mk3 chassis, and swap that over as most parts are compatible, bar a fual tank.

That way i could sell the golf for about £1200ish and buy the mk3 diesel car for its engine and a £500 corrado and do it up.

Car work isn't a scare for me as i have swapped many an engine but not from a different power plant, only straight swaps before, i.e. like for like.

I am more just lookinginto the idea of keeping a nice looking vag as my daily driver (corrado is my fave!, but getting 50mpg!)

If i do swap the engine, (which is probs going to be a Corrado project now, i couldn't live with myself if i broke the golf up.

I will be looking to do a few things to bring the 1.9 up to 130bhp, which i know is quite easy and reliable with injector upgrades and a chip.

TBH a 130 bhp diesel is a fast motor, lots of the torqz! lol