For the last 6 months or so my vr has been cutting out randomly during idle and whilst running at any revs or speed. It cuts out very violently and almost instantly turns back on if moving and when idling just turns off. Sometimes it cuts out and the engine speed/revs/momentum bring it back to life or if it dies completely it can be turned back on straight away and sometimes it takes 5 or 10 mins to turn back on and I have absolutely no idea whats causing it, i have tested the fuel pump, cleaned maf and isv, all earths checked and cleaned up, tidied most wiring, cleaned out full induction system including rubber inlet pipes and throttle body, checked plugs, leads, dizzy, coil and battery. Changed the speed sensor as fault was coming up on vagcom, and this has helped it on start up. Isv, maf and full inlet system were cleaned due to rough idle and more faults appearing on vagcom from isv and o2 sensor, this has helped it to idle smoothly and stop revving up and down randomly. But after all of this it still cuts out although seemingly less often. Any ideas guys?

had the same problem on my boss's audi 80 quattro. Not saying it is, but when was the last time fuel filter was chamged? My boss had his cut out so we changed the fuel filter and it runs smooth now. We drained the petrol into a clean lid and there was loads of crap in the fuel. Should only take 10 mins to do and shouldn't cost more than £15 depending where you get it from.

• 4 weeks later...

Still having running problems with the vr. Cuts out totally and battery light comes on, but at no particular time, it can do it while idling or while driving gently,or accelerating hard. Have now also replaced ecu relay just in case, but clutching at straws really. Have been plugging it in almost constantly to vagcom. Havent had any faults for a few weeks even when i check immediately after it cuts out. Any ideas guys? i'm totally stumped! *-)

When I had random stalling issues it was down to corroded wires in the MAF multiplug. Looked OK from outside, but were knackered where they go into the plug. Engine movement would casue loss of connection leading to stalling randomly. Worth a close look.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys vr still shagged, cuts out, or trys to at least on every journey no matter how short or long. And it no longer idles properly again. can idle anywhere between 0 and 1200rpm. Everything is clean and should be working properly, vagcom isnt throwing up any faults. stumped, checked maf connections not corroded.

Died pretty spectacularly on the way home from work on saturday, first accelerate hard... 2nd roar off down the road... 3rd still accelerating hard hit 80 and everything just stops nose dives. dash lights up like a christmas tree... change down as its slowing trying to kick it back into life but all i get is a bit of induction roar, engine almost seems to mechanically be working but electrically dead.. roll to a halt on the verge...bugger!

Wouldnt start after this then after about ten minutes it starts and drives home :S

Anyone? :-(

well the other realy to try is the fuel pump one - apart from that I had the same problem with mine and vagcomed it immediatley after it had died and the fault engine start blocked by immobiliser came up and it turned out the original VW immobiliser was faulty and causing the car to cut out

I would check the immobiliser and the ignition lock. This could be dead and therefor cutting all power.

Try checking all ignition wires: should be 6000 ohms

Also check ALL electrical connectors for corrosion.

check all vacumlines and see that everything is tight so no air is going inn at the wrong place.

Also check ALL earths, take them off an use a wire brush to get the fresh metal exposed.

Check the alternator and battery

Be sure there isnt condensation in your petrol.

Check if your relays are ok. (open them with a screwdriver and look for defects.)

Happened on mine as well,

At first it would cut out randomly and usualy start back up

after a couple of weeks it wouldn't start off the key but would usualy bump start ?

Then it got worse and worse and broke down on most trips sometimes for 5 mins other times an hour (really friging annoying)

Changed the Crank Speed Sensor been good as gold ever since.

Bee

P.S Only showed up on vag com once when it first started doing it.