Hey Guys,

If I could get any help with this it would be very much help.

The problem I am having is with the Hydraulic clutch in my MK4 V6 4motion. What is happening is that I seem to be losing hydraulic pressure. I initially thought there was a leak somewhere and upon trying to bleed the clutch twice ( which had so much air bubbles in it) I gave up and sent it to a garage(not the Dealership) On collecting the Car I was told that the Master Clutch cylinder was replaced (allegedly) and the system was bled. when I got the car back all felt like new for about 10mins when things went back to normal, You see as I drive I lose pressure. If im driving around town changing gear constantly its ok( because the pedal is always being pumped and there is pressure. but when I drive on the motor way and I don't touch the clutch for like 10min when I try push the clutch its to the floor.

The problem has got worse since I got the car back and is basically undriveable.

All I would like to know is what could be causing the problem bearing in mind that there is no visual leaking of clutch fluid and that the clutch master has (maybe) been changed. The guy at the garage did say there was something inside the gear box that could cause the problem, but im not sure if he is taking me for a ride and just wants more money out of me or what.

Any advice what the issue could be will be greatly appreciated. Its such a shame to have this beautiful car parked in the garage when it should out be prowling the streets. :)

Thanks

Engine bay, bulk head below the brake master cylinder, two pipes, a feed from the brake master cylinder, and a feed to the slave. Black plastic units on those i think. The slave cylinder is in the box, part of the release bearing i think, which is probably what your mechanic is talking about. Check your invoice and see if lists the part number and cross it with TPS.

i had the same problem about a year ago

i got VW to have a look and they said it was the slave cylinder inside the g/box and you might as well change the clutch while your at it.They said it would cost around £1500 to fix ! When they told me that i nearly died...

In the end i got a complete clutch from GSF for £350 including the flywheel and got a friend to fit it for me..

adam

I know £1500 is a lot of doe

As for the slave cylinder i just replaced it as it was part of the kit I got from GSF..

The only thing i had to get from VW was the fly wheel bolts and 2 seals for the transfer box and a bottle of g/box oil just incase i also replaced the master cylinder as the little white clip snaped off...

Vw quoted around 8hrs labour to do just the clutch and after seeing my mate do the job i can see why!The transfer box has to come out first before you can do anything else.

I'm afraid its who you know not what you know in the motor trade luckly i was fortune enough to know someone who's done one before and have the facilities to do the job as i work for Mercedes Benz.

I'm not going to tell how much i spent in the end as i dont want to upset anyone ...

unfortunatly i don't know of anyone in the bromley area have you tried AMD in Essex 01708-861827 i think there labour rate in only about £60hr a lot of people rate them quite well and will not rip you off

Good Luck

Adam

i'm sorry if that has up set you mouzer23 but as i say to my customers its the joys of motoring ...

Ive had my 4mo for 5 years now and yes its had its problems and it can be very expensive but there isn't anything out there that i want to replace it with ,the thought of a v6 engine in a little car with 4wd and looks like any other golf apart from the R32 just appeals to me its great...

Adam